Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Open 2.24gb .avi File...help?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lanimilbus

Lanimilbus

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:10 PM

I recorded a 17 minute long .avi file of my screen with Bulent's Screen Recorder (www.thesilver.net) and when I saved it it turned out to be 2.24GB large. I don't need the entire recording, just select parts that are only 20 seconds or so long, but as it is now, I can't open the recording in any media player program...I've tried Windows Media Player, DivX, Media Player Classic, and BSplayer, but none of them will open it. The closest I've come to playing it has been with DivX...it opens it without any error messages, and shows the running time, but when I click Play nothing happens. No error messages, but it doesn't play either; just a black screen. Also, I tried to edit the .avi file in AVI Splitter and Honestech Video Editor 7.0, but neither one could open it. When I tried making another screen recording with Bulent's Screen Recorder, only 5 seconds this time (16MB file) and saved that, it played fine in all the programs mentioned previously.
Can anyone give me some advice as to what I can do to open or edit this file somehow? Again, I only want a few 20 second clips out of the 17 minutes it recorded, but I can't open it in any editors to crop out the parts I don't need. So if anyone knows of any other media players I could download and try to open it with, or some way to resize it, perhaps, so it wouldn't be as big and maybe be recognizable by the media players I've been trying, it would be greatly appreciated if you'd let me know. Thanks,

-Alec

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:28 PM

What is the present file format? Sounds like you are trying to open a video- ts file, and the player I use for that is cyberlink power dvd. It will open almost anything. If it is ts, you will need to open it in 4 parts, labeled oddly enough 1-4. There will be other files also, but the video is what you want.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:50 PM

Hi there,

Wow, 2.4 GB for 17min of .avi??? That right there tells me something is weird. Generally, you can take a 2 hour movie (aprox. 4.5GB - 6GB) and encode it into a 700MB file using Xvid/DivX encoders for the creation of an .AVI format at DVD quality. I think the ratio is around 25:1 possible compression, mind you that is for less than DVD quality.

If it is possible to record your clip over again, I would try that. But make sure what kind of output you are going to end up with. And if there is sound as well, make sure that if it's in mp3 format, it isn't set at 320KB, cause that is just overboard, when 192KB or even 160KB would most likely be sufficient.

I will check out that app you are using, and see what the scoop is on it. Hope this helped.

nos :thumbsup:

Pardon me, I just wanted to add this screenshot. This is the Resample applet, I was curious if the version that you have, includes this option? If so, it might be worth a shot. Pay attention to the file output size, and the encoder that will be compressing the file.

I am assuming that since you have both the Media Player Classic, and BS Player, that you have the K-Lite Codec Pack installed on your PC. Another possible problem could be with having all those codecs, and the recorder had trouble with incorperating one or more.

It is very common to have problems after installing a codec pack. If this sounds pertinent, I have some good advice on making sure that you only install the codecs you need for the media that you wish to view, as well as leaving the future possibilities open for clean additions to your codec needs.

Click this thumbnail for a full view.

Posted Image

Hope this helps,

nos :flowers:

Edited by nosnhoj#3, 09 March 2006 - 12:28 AM.

When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users