Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with black bars =(

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LordSlizzurp

LordSlizzurp

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

Could someone please tell me how to turn these 2.35:1 mpeg4s into a 16:9 without any squishing?

Edited by LordSlizzurp, 26 July 2012 - 02:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

This is a very common question on video forums.

You have to either trim off of the ends in your editor or squish the video Or live with the black bars.

Since I want to see all of the movie I live with the black bars.
This is because 16:9( like a HDTV is 1.77:1, so to fill the screen you have to lose the difference between that and 2.35:1.
do the black bars on the sides of 4:3 video bother you?

Bottom line you can put it through a editor and trim it, losing some quality in the process as well as part of the video. or if you TV set has a Zoom function you can try that.

Found this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16:9
There is a image partway down on the right side that shows the various aspect ratios as compared to a HDTV.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 01 August 2012 - 09:45 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 LordSlizzurp

LordSlizzurp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

thank you =) yeah after some critical thinking i realized its impossible to turn a rectangle video into a square shape without some trimming

Edited by LordSlizzurp, 27 July 2012 - 07:32 PM.

#4 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:22 AM

I think black bars is the way to go.
I use Mpeg Streamclip on my Mac to insert black bars on video when I don't want to stretch it. I works very well, fast, and does a decent job encoding without artifacts. Keeps the audio/video sync as well.

http://download.cnet.com/MPEG-Streamclip/3000-2194_4-10496369.html

Import video, choose export to whatever, I use DV, in the DV (or mpeg4) exporter, find "Zoom" and "x/y" change them to whatever, to keep the original size of the video, (or closest) You may have to experiment with it. You can preview the video. You can also set your changes as a preset for future conversions.

you may also need Quicktime.

I know there is a Windows version, but I have never use it on windows. And can't vouch for it. The reviews are mixed. But it's free, with no spyware, or adware.

Also, Avidemux will insert black bars in video. "video" > "Filters" > "Black borders"
But it's tricky, you'll need to find a guide, maybe at, either at Videohelp, or Doom9
forums. It's not for everyone.

I never tried it with mpeg 4, though. Again, you'll have to experiment with it.

Good luck.
Mark

Edited by 12x48y, 01 August 2012 - 06:26 AM.

#5 kbit

kbit

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

i use format factory to convert videos and never had this problem. i watch videos on a hdtv 42" and the videos are always full screen with no loss or squishy , even from dvd widescreen.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

Kbit, do a test,

Take this test pattern and convert it to widescreen
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1l1vb_early-tv-test-pattern_shortfilms

When you are done compare, it has to either be cropped or stretched side to side. The circles will show any stretching, and a comparison to the original will show cropping.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users