Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista won't start up because disk check crashes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lutwyche

lutwyche

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

I can no longer start up my Dell studio because CHKDSK insists on running but never finishes. I have read replies and they all suggest things to help which involve having windows running. I can't get that far! It reaches stage 2 of 3 34% complete and hangs. I have tried to avoid CHKDSK starting up by pressing "any key" as soon as CHKDSK hits the screen but whatever key I press it makes no difference, check disk starts immediately without the 10 seconds grace it promises. I had previously run AVG PC Tune UP as routine maintenance but that didn't immediately cause the problem.

Can anyone help me please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

If chkdsk is trying to run at boot...that indicates a file system problem, which (in turn) may be due to a hard drive problem.

In either case...I suggest entering the Recovery Console (if installed)...and running the chkdsk /r command to completion. The system will try to boot into Windows upon completion of the chkdsk /r cycles.

What is the exact model of Dell Studio you have?

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,673 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

Autocheck typically indicates a dirty bit. And since it's a Vista system you'll have to boot to your Vista cd and choose startup repair options. Then go to a command prompt and run chkdsk /r

Edited by Allan, 26 July 2012 - 12:27 PM.

#4 Saurabh A

Saurabh A

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

Hi lutwyche,

My name is Saurabh.

The computer not booting into the windows can be due to a hard drive issue and also due to a software issue. I would recommend you to perform the Dell Pre-Boot System Assessment to isolate the possibility of this being a hardware related concern. And once that happens, and the system clears the hardware diagnostics, should then explore the restore options.

Kindly click the following link to get the exact steps to perform the hardware diagnostics: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?&docid=DSN_300428&isLegacy=true

Once that is done, please write back with results. Eager and Glad to assist.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 August 2012 - 07:09 AM.
Revealed link and removed spammy content. ~ OB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users