Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my camera infected?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 carl002

carl002

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

I've got a weird situation with my camera and I was wondering if any of you could help me. I am traveling long term and trying to upload and back up my pictures on public computers but I have been unable to recently. I can still look at pictures on my camera but the card wont talk to any computer I try it on. Sometimes I can find the folders that are on my card by double clicking on the drive in the explore menu but it will show the picture folder as empty. Other times I can not see anything in the drive and often the antivirus on computers I use will pop up and warn of a threat when I connect my camera.

I tried using another card and that one did in fact talk to the computer for a day or two but now it is having an identical problem. My camera is a Panasonic Lumix TS4 and I am using micro SD cards with an adapter so that they will fit in the cameras larger card slot.

Thanks for your help,

Carl

Edited by carl002, 26 July 2012 - 09:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

My guess is that the cards are being infected by one or more of the public computers you are plugging them into.

I tried using another card and that one did in fact talk to the computer for a day or two but now it is having an identical problem.

That quoted text is what tells me that.

Your camera isn't infected the cards are.
You will need to be sure that autorun is disabled on Your computer when you get home before you plug the card in, then virus scan it.

The easiest method for now is not the least expensive. If I were you I would fill up a memory card and then store it for later retrieval at home. Then put the next new card in the camera until it is filled, Repeat until home. More or less as if you were using a film camera and changing rolls of film until they can be developed.

I would never plug anything that is or has removable storage into a public computer, Nor would I do anything financial over one. Nothing involving passwords either. As you have found out some of them are infected and who knows what they are looking to steal from users.

Of course this is also why in some ways film is better than digital for cameras.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 26 July 2012 - 10:08 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users