Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reboot of XP pc

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 willy800

willy800

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

I have a prob that I kinda brought on myself, but now don't know how to fix it.
I had an old Dell with XP Home on it. My daughter also had a XP Home pc that is 2 years newer and better than mine. Her pc, for some reason, did not come with a restore disc, but mine did.
Well my pc went belly-up and she got a brand new laptop so she gave me hers. Which of course was full of bugs. :whistle: You know how kids are.
Anyway I used the restore disc from my pc to wipe and fix her pc. The only thing is, my pc had a floppy drive and her's does not. So now when you reboot the pc it stops at a point where it cannot find the floppy and I have to be sitting there to push F1 to continue the bootup process.
Now since I run my home automation stuff on this pc I need it to boot with no one there, like when we are on vacation, I check to see the status of the house, and it is hung up and needs a remote reboot.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Tim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

FWIW: That restore disk, unless the systems were exactly like, would install incorrect drivers/settings on another system, if it would provide a proper install at all, IMO. I believe that is what you are facing.

Can you be specific about the system models...your current system and your former system for which the restore disk was provided?

Louis

#3 willy800

willy800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

Well I no longer have the old computer that had the restore disc.
Before I did the reinstall I went through the pc I was restoring and downloaded all the drivers, because I knew they would be different.
The restored pc has worked fine for over a year now, except the "cannot find floppy disk drive" problem. Of course this pc does not have one and the old one did.
They were both Dell pc's and were both XP-Home.
I am just guessing here, but with the older pc's restore disc it was telling the newer pc that there should be a floppy drive there when it boots up, and there isn't one.
Hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Tim

#4 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

Reboot the PC and hit F2 to go into the bios settings.

Look for the Floppy drive options and set it to not present or not installed.

Edited by Firefoxthebomb, 26 July 2012 - 09:54 AM.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

When the Dell Logo appears on the screen, Press F2 to go to the bios setup.
Look for something like drives.highlight it and press enter. You should see the floppy drive settings there. It is probably set to 1.44Mb floppy. Just turn that off Press esc and save the settings, and as long as the battery is OK, Then you are done. If the date and time keep losing there settings then you need to change the CR2032 battery.

I could be more Specific if you post the model. The really old white Dell is different. Solid but different. There You have to press the Del key for the bios setup and look for the floppy settings for example.

Roger

Firefoxthebomb beat me to it. :)

Edited by rotor123, 26 July 2012 - 09:56 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

Also, you'll need to download and install all of the correct drivers for your system, starting with the chipset driver

#7 willy800

willy800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

That did the trick guys.
Thank you. :thumbsup:

Tim

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

Good to hear, Thanks :thumbup2:

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 26 July 2012 - 03:13 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

Glad to hear that worked, thanks for following up to let us know that worked.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users