Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SuperAntiSpyWare cookies found every scan...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jim-Ed

Jim-Ed

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:35 AM

As of last few days, SuperAntiSpyWare keeps finding these tracking cookies. Have not figured out what they are nor why they keep coming back yet. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, Please see attachment

Windows 7 64-bit,SpywareBlaster, MailwareBytes, Firefox 14.1
Thanks....Jim

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Appleyard

Chris Appleyard

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:04 AM

Hello,
Yes it will pick up cookies what have expired.. like the ones what will expire when you exit or they just have got to the date of expiration.. cookies are text files what will be put onto your PC so that websites can track you.. they will know such things like what OS you have.. the specs of your PC and your IP address.

Thanks
Chris.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
-Nelson Mandela

Windows 7 Home Premium | AMD Athlon II 250 Dual Core CPU | 4.0 RAM Kingston | Nvidia GT 520 | Elite Group MCP61M-M3 Motherboard | COMODO Firewall | Avast! Free | Google Chrome.

#3 Jim-Ed

Jim-Ed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

Thanks for your reply,
Are these particular cookies something I should be concerned with please ?? If so, any suggestions as to what I need to do to correct this...... Please excuse my very novice self....Thanks...Jim

Hello,
Yes it will pick up cookies what have expired.. like the ones what will expire when you exit or they just have got to the date of expiration.. cookies are text files what will be put onto your PC so that websites can track you.. they will know such things like what OS you have.. the specs of your PC and your IP address.

Thanks
Chris.

#4 Chris Appleyard

Chris Appleyard

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

Thanks for your reply,
Are these particular cookies something I should be concerned with please ?? If so, any suggestions as to what I need to do to correct this...... Please excuse my very novice self....Thanks...Jim

No Cookies are perfectly legal but if you don't want to be tracked.. then I really dont know because you need to use cookies just so you can surf now.. you can change the settings to only allow cookies for "this session only"

Google Chrome - http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95647
Firefox - http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences
Internet Explorer - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/How-to-manage-cookies-in-Internet-Explorer-9

need more help? reply again! I am very happy helping you :)

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
-Nelson Mandela

Windows 7 Home Premium | AMD Athlon II 250 Dual Core CPU | 4.0 RAM Kingston | Nvidia GT 520 | Elite Group MCP61M-M3 Motherboard | COMODO Firewall | Avast! Free | Google Chrome.

#5 Jim-Ed

Jim-Ed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

Thank you very much for the links and your help,,,I will surely look into it ....Thanks again,,,much appreciated....Jim

Thanks for your reply,

No Cookies are perfectly legal but if you don't want to be tracked.. then I really dont know because you need to use cookies just so you can surf now.. you can change the settings to only allow cookies for "this session only"

Google Chrome - http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95647
Firefox - http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences
Internet Explorer - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/How-to-manage-cookies-in-Internet-Explorer-9

need more help? reply again! I am very happy helping you :)

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

I see you are using Firefox... in addition to the links Chris provided also see this: Disable third-party cookies in Firefox to stop some types of tracking by advertisers.

>>>Third-party cookies are cookies that are set by a website other than the one you are currently on. For example, cnn.com might have a Facebook like button on their site. That like button will set a cookie that can be read by Facebook. That would be considered a third-party cookie.

Some advertisers use these types of cookies to track your visits to the various websites on which they advertise. If you are concerned about this, you can disable third-party cookies in Firefox<<<

Also, it's worth installing (IMHO) the MVPS Hosts file to prevent many tracking cookies from even accessing your computer in the first place.:)

Edited by Union_Thug, 26 July 2012 - 02:16 PM.

#7 Jim-Ed

Jim-Ed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

Thanks,,,I did have third party unchecked, but those two still got in. I have read some about host file, but must admit that might be over my head. I somehow do have a host file saved in my downloads, but do not remember how I did it nor if I can or how to update it ..I will try and follow the much appreciated link and see if I can do it. If I could get instructions That a novice might follow,,,sure would be appreciated....Thanks a lot....jim Sorry, I am sure u are used to having better students .....

I see you are using Firefox... in addition to the links Chris provided also see this: Disable third-party cookies in Firefox to stop some types of tracking by advertisers.

>>>Third-party cookies are cookies that are set by a website other than the one you are currently on. For example, cnn.com might have a Facebook like button on their site. That like button will set a cookie that can be read by Facebook. That would be considered a third-party cookie.

Some advertisers use these types of cookies to track your visits to the various websites on which they advertise. If you are concerned about this, you can disable third-party cookies in Firefox<<<

Also, it's worth installing (IMHO) the MVPS Hosts file to prevent many tracking cookies from even accessing your computer in the first place.:)

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

Easy to follow instrux with screenshots here: Updating the HOSTS file in Windows 7 http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hostswin7.htm
After installing, subscibe to this Bleepingcomputer topic used to notify members of the latest updates to the MVPS HOSTS file.
Alternatively HostsMan is a freeware application that lets you manage your Hosts file fairly easily. http://majorgeeks.com/HostsMan_d4592.html

Features:

online update of hosts file;
enable/disable usage of hosts file;
open Hosts file with one click;
merge two hosts files;
built-in hosts editor;
prevent other programs writing to the hosts;
scan hosts for errors, duplicates and possible hijacks;
find how many host names;
easily install newly downloaded hosts file;
create encrypted backups of your hosts file;
resolve host names;
keep log of latest blocked sites;
etc.

Edited by Union_Thug, 26 July 2012 - 04:37 PM.

#9 Jim-Ed

Jim-Ed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

With these links and instructions, I think I just might be able to accomplish this....Thanks so much....Much appreciated....Jim

Easy to follow instrux with screenshots here: Updating the HOSTS file in Windows 7 http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hostswin7.htm
After installing, subscibe to this Bleepingcomputer topic used to notify members of the latest updates to the MVPS HOSTS file.
Alternatively HostsMan is a freeware application that lets you manage your Hosts file fairly easily. http://majorgeeks.com/HostsMan_d4592.html

Features:

online update of hosts file;
enable/disable usage of hosts file;
open Hosts file with one click;
merge two hosts files;
built-in hosts editor;
prevent other programs writing to the hosts;
scan hosts for errors, duplicates and possible hijacks;
find how many host names;
easily install newly downloaded hosts file;
create encrypted backups of your hosts file;
resolve host names;
keep log of latest blocked sites;
etc.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

:) If S.A.S. finds no tracking cookies, I wonder if I am doing enough research on some topics -

I run S.A.S. every few days, plus the "generally considered outdated" Spybot Search & Destroy, and only find the odd outdated cookie.
>> Some advertisers use these types of cookies to track your visits to the various websites on which they advertise.<< And I agree with this from Union_Thug -

Regards -

#11 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

You're most welcome Jim. :) Post back and let us know how you make out.

#12 Jim-Ed

Jim-Ed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

Thanks all,,,I think I did it,,,I did get to the blue updated host screen. I think it also said updated existing host file ,,The one I forgot I had and did not know to use :) I really appreciate all this generously, Sure proud of my new membership to Bleeping Computer ...Thanks again guys....Jim

You're most welcome Jim. :) Post back and let us know how you make out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users