Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Software

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ragnarok31

Ragnarok31

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:31 PM

Hey, I've tried Symantec Norton Antivirus before, but that was just crap. I've recently switched over to the free edition of BitDefender 8, which seems to work very well.

I also saw a tutorial in this forum about another program called Avast!.

I'm wondering which one I should use, or if there are any other, more effective ones out there.

Thanks

- Also, for spyware and adware, what are your opinions about Lavasoft's Adaware?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:53 PM

We recommend four freeware antivirus' here on this forum. All are use and found to be safe. The latest report have Avast as a better choice. I have personally been using AVG for years and would not change. If you wait you will get opinion on most all of the different antivirus programs. As pointed out in recent days on this forum, Norton and MacAfee are preferred by many corporate users. While some, and I am one, may not like them they are excellent programs and are well respect in the Security Community.
Here is the list of the recommended freeware antivirus'

AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Ragnarok31

Ragnarok31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:02 PM

So should I definately replace BitDefender with either Avast or AVG?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:54 AM

I did not say that. I believe any of the listed antivirus' are good. If you have Bit Defender I see no reason not to use it. It is a well respected company, and I have no doubt it will do a good job. If you want to try Avast of AVG you will be well protected by them also.
I use AVG, and if you had not aquired Bit Defender I would have recommended AVG. I install AVG on a dozen or so computers a month and find it work, in conjunction with my other softwares, quite well.
Try Bit Defender for a while and if you are unsatisfied with it, uninstall it, and try one of the others. Whatever you do, only install and use one antivirus at a time.
The important thing right now is to install an antivirus so you are protected. Remember antivirus is only one layer of a thick blanket that you should be covered with.

#5 Ragnarok31

Ragnarok31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:10 AM

Alright, got it. Thanks

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 03:44 AM

You are welcome.

#7 whitty

whitty

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 11 March 2006 - 03:26 PM

I will add my two cents here and say that I used AVG for almost 2 years, then switched to avast and it found a virus that AVG did not find. My computer has ran better than it ever has. Just my thoughts on the subject.
Avast 4.7 Home,Comodo BOClean 4.24,AVG7.5 Free,A-Squared 3.0 Free, Spyware Blaster,Spybot Search & Destroy, Comodo Firewall Pro, AVG Anti-Rootkit

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2006 - 03:15 AM

You input like most is welcome. That is why we recommend several AV programs. Nice POST.

#9 SaxonManFinland

SaxonManFinland

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 03:25 AM

My 1 Euros Worth........Just for Info.

The power of Norton lies in its backup.......However like many I got infected when Updating Norton On Line, and could not complete the download. As I could not get any sense from their support people. I turned to ZoneAlarm Pro, which although I paid for it, gave me a VG Firewall, AV and ASW.All of which I have been really pleased with. It did a remote scan and cleanup before attempting a download......Practical idea

It has found viruses that Norton had not yet published details on, so I guess its quite up to date. In fact I have just renewed my annual payment and for 30$ I feel it is money well spent.

#10 Ragnarok31

Ragnarok31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:01 PM

Cool, thanks for your input guys. I found that Avast! was much more powerful in both finding and removing the viruses than Bitdefend, and BitDefend does not have live protection. I'm just kind of torn between Avast! and AVG, but I think I'm going to go with Avast! though, because I found more praise on the internet for Avast! than AVG, and also because the GUI seems a little friendlier (GUIs are good tiebreakers :thumbsup:).

Edited by Ragnarok31, 12 March 2006 - 08:02 PM.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2006 - 11:13 PM

Excellent. It is not like we make money of refurrals. It is nice to see it ia working for you. In a couple of weeks let us kno how you like it. May hlp somone with thier dicission.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users