Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security new PC

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JawBreaker

JawBreaker

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:25 AM

Hi everyone,

I reinstalled my pc (Vista) and i needed to secure it. I got downloaded some regular protection like Avast, Maleware Bytes and SpywareBlaster..

But then i ran into some questions:

1. I need a Firewall, cuz i don't trust Firewall Windows. And i can't choose between Comodo and Privatefirewall? Or maybe there others that may be better?

2. I was wondering what is the safest browser now-a-days? I heard Google Chrome is safest because of the sandboxing system, but what about programs like Sandboxie incombination with a browser like FF, IE, Opera...?

I like to hear about your thoughts and recommendations... :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:38 AM

You can start by reading: Answers to common security questions - Best Practices

The topic includes info about choosing an anti-virus, tools to supplement your anti-virus, choosing a firewall, etc.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 JawBreaker

JawBreaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

I've been on that page for 5 time already, but it doesn't really help. It's a more commen information how things work, what the possibilities are... :)

I hope people want to share their experience... When i try to google, i get a lot of outdated experiences and reviews. Or maybe i don't google enough :D

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:30 AM

If you ask for opinions as to which Firewall others like, you will probably receive a wide array of answers. I have been using the Windows Firewall for years without issue so I cannot provide a personal opinion of how third party alternatives work.

Same goes with browsers...you will receive various opinions. I prefer Firefox.

Sandboxing is a technique which creates an isolated operating/virtual environment in which applications can be run, tested or installed without permanently modifying the local drive. Sandboxes can be used for security and software development as well as for testing and debugging code. Sandboxing can also be used as a form of malware prevention as described below by virus Bulletin.

A sandbox is a small, sealed-off version of an environment offering a minimal set of services, and is used as a test area. Actions carried out within the sandbox are safely contained within the area and cannot leak out to affect more important parts of a system.

Sandboxing is used within security software to unpack compressed or encrypted files, or to analyse the behaviour of unknown items. Larger-scale sandboxing tools are available for improving the security of computing environments - for example, browser sandboxes seal web browsers off from the host system, preventing malware from damaging it.

Sandbox(ing)

For more specific information about how sandboxes work, please read A Taste of Computer Security: Sandboxing.

Sandboxie is one example of a sandboxing tool.
Getting Started: How to use Sandboxie <- the tutorial has 6 parts

avast! 6 offered several new protection features to include the AutoSandbox. avast! Free Antivirus 6 does not include the full Sandbox module or its enhancements. avast! 7 extends virtualization “sandbox”. For more information about this feature, how it works and how it differs from avast! Pro and avast! Internet Security, please refer to:
Comodo Internet Security also offers Sandboxing.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

In response to your questions.

1. Firewall. I don't use a firewall because I'm behind a well configured router.

2. A browser is only as secure as the the person using it and how it's configured. You can be infected by poor browsing habits as easily on any of them. It's not the browser it's how it's used. Choose one that suits your needs and configure it properly. Then employ safe browsing habits.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 johhny

johhny

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:04 AM

Hi..
Firewall is the first line of defense against cyber criminals. You should have a firewall installed in your PC. I am using the Comodo Internet Security from quit a long period. I am very satisfied from its performance and security. I refer you to go with Comodo.
And for the best web browser I advice you to go with Comodo Dragon that is based on the Chromium project code that makes your online surfing, shopping and other things safe and secure.

#7 JawBreaker

JawBreaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

Thank you all for your help.

I recently installed Comodo Firewall and i think it's working.
I tried GRC Leaktest, but couldnt do the test, cuz Comodo totaly blocked it. I don't know if it's a good thing.

The tests on Windows Firewall and PrivateFirewall completely failed. (Maybe the settings were wrong)

Does anyone know other safe leaktests?

EDIT: I already found some on BC.

Edited by JawBreaker, 27 July 2012 - 08:35 AM.

#8 JawBreaker

JawBreaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

I got a problem now.

Avast and Comodo dont work wel together... It's like Comodo got a bug or something. Maybe i should disable Defense+ and Sandbox?? But doens't Comodo get negative influence in his job as an firewall??

Maybe i should use AVG with Comodo...

#9 Celena

Celena

• Banned Spammer
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:23 AM

Yup comodo firewall is the good firewall which will work good with any antivirus you have. You can get it from here.
http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/

#10 johhny

johhny

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:16 AM

Hi....
You can use Comodo firewall and Avast at same time but you have to take some precautions. Before installing Comodo Firewall deactivate Avast temporarily and make sure you are installing only the Comodo firewall not the whole Comodo Internet security. As the Comodo and Avast will not work together, they will create problems in your PC. Again, activate Avast after Comodo installation and exclude all the Comodo files from all the agents of Avast. Provide all the Avast files the status of updater.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users