Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sp2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hamish127

hamish127

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:07 PM

I recently down loaded a service pack for either win. or ie.later a pop up said if i was experiencing any difficultys with any programs i could delete it.Well ive forgotten what program it was and now i cant send e-mails and it also takes about a min. to load ie ep is my op.can anyone help please thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:16 PM

Where did you download this SP2 from??

If you really must uninstall Windows XP Service Pack 2 to fix a major installation problem, you can try these rollback maneuvers. But remember, you'll be removing some of the security features that Microsoft intends for keeping your PC safer. So you should know how to update your OS yourself. Note: you can get the update on CD.

1.USE XP'S OWN ADD/REMOVE PROGRAM.

Using this program might take awhile and a reboot but it works well.

Microsoft's has its own preferred order of methods to uninstall SP2, and "Add or remove programs" is number one. It's also the easiest, so try it first.

From the Start menu-->Click RUN-->type appwiz.cpl in the Open box-->Click OK-->this brings up the Add or Remove Programs featute or to get it a less technical way, Click Start-->and find the Control Panel --> "Add or remove programs."
Scroll down until you find Windows XP Service Pack 2, then click Remove.
Follow the onscreen instructions.

2. REMOVE SP2 MANUALLY.

If "Add or remove programs" doesn't give a Service Pack 2 option--there's an manual way of getting to that helpful wizard.

From the Start menu-->click Run-->then type C:windows$NtServicePackUninstall$spuninstspuninst.exe in the Open box-->and click OK.
When the Removal wizard opens, click Next.
Follow the onscreen instructions.

3. SYSTEM RESTORE SAVED MY PC.

During its installation, SP2 automatically creates a system restore point, which is really a snapshot of your computer, before it begins. If the other techniques fail, or if after uninstalling SP2 your computer acts weird, you can get your machine back to a previous, better working time.

From the Start menu-->All Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> System Restore.
Click Next.
On the calendar, find the date you installed SP2, then click "Installed Windows XP Service Pack 2" in the Restore Point box on the right.
Click Next and follow the onscreen instructions.
Now, you can learn how to get a working installation of the important security update-WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK 2.

Pre-Installation Recommendations
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=7260

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:55 AM

Rather than uninstall SP2 you are better off getting free support from Microsoft:

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338).

There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.

International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 09 March 2006 - 03:17 PM

Make SURE your computer is clean of all malicious software first! SP2 won't install correctly in an infected machine.

Also, in my experience, SP2 installs much better from a disk than it does from a download. You can order a disk HERE. This, of course, would especially be the preferred course of action for someone with a slow internet connection as it is a huge download.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users