Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.cfg association issue, NEED HELP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Smoot

Smoot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:20 AM

Here's the problem I'm having

Went to modify a configuration file of a sound program by using notepad to open it. The file association got permanently associated with Notepad.

OPTION WAS ON making it so that EVERY .cfg file was associate with notepad. For whatever reason there's not a GUI or Graphical User Interface in Windows 7 in order to undo this. So upon advice of a friend who told me the only way to not have it the file type associated with is to have some kind of program to disassociate it.

Downloaded a program (http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/unassociate-file-types-windows-7-vista/) to unassociate the file type. The "Remove File Association" option wasn't lit so I hit the "Delete File Type" option underneath it. BEFORE I DID, I created a system restore point just in case something went wrong.

Something did go wrong. Upon system restoring browsing certain pages with Flash on them either, take a long time to load, don't connect at all (apps.facebook.com), or load up the page. Youtube works fine, but DailyMotion, Adobe, Facebook Games and GSN to name a few don't.

I'm panicking because I may need to restore stuff on here (the new computer) on a system restore disc that the computer asked me to burn when I got the computer because manufacturers/Microsoft are cheap xxxxx who didn't provide an actual Windows restore disc. THAT, and I'd have to back up and restore all my files on here AGAIN! This is a break in case of an emergency. If anybody can provide any sort of help, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Flash doesn't seem to want to work in IE9 or Chrome

PC: Lenovo IdeaCentre with Windows 7 on it

(Apologies for the profanity.)

Mod Edit: Removed profanity. I strongly suggest that you read and follow the discussion forum rules for posting behavior, rather than apologize for actions that are, at best, tasteless. - Hamluis

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2012 - 07:50 AM.
Edits - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Smoot

Smoot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

9:06am Well it seems after putting the computer in sleep mode and disabling flash in chrome to reenable it hours later, the problems I had seem to be resolved. I guess maybe something had to kick in after awhile to recognize things were alright?

Mod Edit: Removed profanity. I strongly suggest that you read and follow the discussion forum rules for posting behavior, rather than apologize for actions that are, at best, tasteless.

I SINCERELY apologize, I was in a frenzy and copy/pasted the problem via Facebook without editing stuff before I went off to sleep late last night/early this morning. I won't let it happen again if it's that big of an issue in the unforseen event of having a future problem.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

If you have future problems...we'll be around to try to assist.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users