Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to return to normal Windows after using Live CD of Linux?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:02 AM

Several web articles tell about how to find ISO's of Linuxes and to write the ISO to compact disc, and how to restart the computer with the CD in the CD drive to startup the Live CD with Linux. What none of the many articles tell is exactly how to return to Windows when finished with the Live CD session of Linux. One or two articles just said to restart the computer and take out the disc; or remove the disc and restart the computer. HOW? Remove the disc and then press the power button? Remove the disc and use/find a "shutdown" item from the Linux desktop menu? Find some menu item in Linux for shutdown or restart, but then how do you remove the disc?

Not clear, so afraid to try a Live CD until I know exactly how to return to normal Windows mode.

Computer I may use to test or try would maybe best be laptop Toshiba Satellite, already with Windows XP sp3.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:45 AM

When you shut down the live session, the drawer should pop open and tell you to remove the disk. I say "should" becasue I've run across a couple that don't. But even if they just shut down with the disk in the drawer, when you hit the power button to turn it back on, follow that by hitting the eject button on the DVD/CD reader and the drawer will pop out so you can remove the disk.

#3 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

Hi :)

This varies from distributions and desktop environments so it's not all the same. Regardless of the distribution you can open a terminal and type "su" then "reboot". Look for a program with the word terminal in the name or something like Konsole, xterm etc. This is the command-prompt some call it for Linux.

Note: If you choose/chose Debian you may need to type "su" then "poweroff" as Debian reboots the OS rather then the entire computer(on the install that is I don't know about the live cd).

Edited by DarkSnake-Kobra, 26 July 2012 - 01:21 PM.

#4 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

StiltSkin and DarkSnake-Kobra,

I do not understand those. When I am finished with the Live CD session, could I just open the CD door/tray, take out the CD, and unplug the computer from the electricity outlet? How do I turn off the computer, or restart the computer? Will fresh start or restart give me back Windows?

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

I'll try to make it clear. As long as you are running on the Live CD it is easy.

1. Hit the eject button on the drive
2. Hold the power button for more than 5 seconds until the computer turns off.
3. Turn on the computer and back to windows.

4. If step 2 does not work remove the battery, and the dc Plug from the AC Adapter. You can make this step even easier if the battery is out ahead of time and you are running on AC power.
Then put them back and go to step 3.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

I would go with rotor123's suggestions. :)

Although I'm a little hesitant to force a shut down as that can damage your computer.

#7 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

All of them I've seen have a Logout and/or Shutdown entry in the menu. Use that to shut down. No possibility of damage (although the possibility is slim anyway running a live media system). Plus, you may have trouble ejecting the dic while still in the live session. If you use the proper shutdown method (as described above) it will nearly always pop the drawer open, tell you to remove the media and hit <ENTER> when done. If it fails to pop the drawer open, turn the computer back on, hit the CD/DVD drive button and remove the media when it's open.

Even easier, just try it. You'll see there's nothing to worry about. It's all self-evident except in the rare case where the machine shuts down without telling you to remove the media first. But if you're running one of the most well-known versions, it will tell you when to remove the disc.

#8 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:02 AM

Maybe I should tell more information what I have first.

I downloaded these: dsl-4.4.10.iso (51102 kb), geexbox-2.0-i386.iso (73728 kb), slitaz-4.0.iso (35566 kb), tinycore-current.iso (12266 kb).

I downloaded and installed DeepBurner, and used it to "burn" slitaz-4.0.iso to CD-R, and to "burn" tinycore-current.iso to a separate CD-R.

I then tried to examine the contents of each of the two discs (the CD-R's with the "burned" iso's). When the slitaz disc was put into CD drive, the drive gave a nonstop whirring sound with periodic frequent clicks and the computer became unresponsive. I opened the CD drive and rechecked placement on the spindle and reclosed the door; again whirring & clicking and computer became unresponsive. I could then never try to check the content of this disc.

I tried to examine contents of the tinycore disc. This went into the CD drive with no difficulty and I opened the D:\ drive to examine contenst. I could see there were named folders and files. This at least is reassuring, but I wonder if either something is wrong with slitaz iso or if something is wrong with the iso disc (CD-R), or if something is just wrong about slitaz as a piece of software?

Of the four linuxes that I listed, could I expect any confusion or trouble in trying to test, or trying to shutdown the software and the computer from a Live CD session?

#9 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:10 AM

Slitaz probably won't work. Bad download, bad burn, burned wrong - who knows. But if you can't see what's on it, it won't work.

The others may still fail at boot. It happens. Could be bad burn, could be something wrong with the hardware (bad RAM, bad power supply, bad reader). But they won't harm anything if you run them. They'll either boot, refuse to start, or boot partway and fail.

Out of all of those, the only one I ever tried was dsl (and I've been using linux for a loooooooong time). If you're looking for a full desktop, it will probably disappoint (although I admit I haven't used dsl in several years, and it may be more hefty than it used to be). Since you sound inexperienced, I'm thinking you're looking for a desktop to use. You'll probably need something a little heavier. I'm also assuming that since you chose those the machine you're using isn't top notch. So you might try something with a light desktop and still have a little more substance. Maybe something like Lubuntu, maybe Pinguy. If you need something really light, Puppy works fairly well (not great, but no super light ones will work really great for a new user).

#10 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

Now tried to make four iso - Live CD's, each from separate iso files. Three of the four do not work when placed back into the laptop's CD drive, giving the whirring sound, and going through nonstop incesant clicks and making the computer unresponsive. The only "Live CD" which I could see contents was the TinyCore. The other three, slitaz, geexbox-2.0-i386, and now slacko-5.3.3-sci-4.g-iso (puppy linux) make the whirring and clicking and retard the computer until I eject them using the button on the CD drive door.

All four of those were prepared to CD using DeepBurner and choosing ISO Burn.

As you guessed and said, I am inexperienced, including very inexperienced with any Linux. All my experience in modern years with computers has been with Windows operating systems, usually on personal computers; occasionally with DOS - but not much.

Purpose for wanting to try Linuxes: Avoid constantly relying on Windows operating systems; maybe learn to manage details about a computer through some form of linux for the benefit of files and programs on a Windows system. Why do some backup & restoration programs include a rescue or repair disk that uses a linux? This type of program or system lets you do things to your Windows system without actually running Windows, so maybe linux systems or applications act as clever, good tools. I then wonder, what are the many things we can do to our Windows systems using some linux operating system? ....
... but meanwhile, I tried to make four different Live CD's of Linuxes and three of them are bad.

#11 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

Now tried to make four iso - Live CD's, each from separate iso files. Three of the four do not work when placed back into the laptop's CD drive, giving the whirring sound, and going through nonstop incesant clicks and making the computer unresponsive. The only "Live CD" which I could see contents was the TinyCore. The other three, slitaz, geexbox-2.0-i386, and now slacko-5.3.3-sci-4.g-iso (puppy linux) make the whirring and clicking and retard the computer until I eject them using the button on the CD drive door.

Hi,
Have you set the BIOS to 'boot from CD/DVD'? You have to start the PC / laptop with CD in, not just stick it in when Windows is running. Have you got the boot from CD/DVD correct?

#12 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

Hi,
Have you set the BIOS to 'boot from CD/DVD'? You have to start the PC / laptop with CD in, not just stick it in when Windows is running. Have you got the boot from CD/DVD correct?

102 Richard S,
I was not trying to start a Live Linux CD session yet; just was trying to check if I can view the directory structure on the Live CD's. If the written disk is good, the directory structure should be viewable through "Computer" or Windows Explorer. For actually running a Live CD session, I still need to learn how to enter SETUP menu on my computer in case the "Boot" priority is not set for running startup on CD drive. (Toshiba laptop Satellite, Windows XP sp3). Note, when I had put the linux CD's back into the CD drive so far, I did NOT restart the computer and was NOT trying to run a Live CD session - I was just trying to check if the "Burn ISO" worked.

The list of Linux ISO's I presented were so somebody may be able to say that leaving the live cd session and returning to Windows might be difficult or not.

Thanks so far...

#13 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:32 AM

How long have you waited for the whirring to stop on the aones you can't read before ejecting the media? Are you using CDs or DVDs for burning? On the one that opens, do you see a single file or several files and folders?

#14 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

How long have you waited for the whirring to stop on the aones you can't read before ejecting the media?

I waited 3 to 4 minutes. The whirring and clicking pattern never stopped once it started.

Are you using CDs or DVDs for burning?

I Used CD-R's.

On the one that opens, do you see a single file or several files and folders?

Several files and folders.

New: I tried another ISO burn to CD today, again with DeepBurner but with "4x" speed instead of "16x" speed. I did this for the slacko 5.3.3 iso file. No good. Same problem. Put CD back in drive, wait several seconds, whirring starts, then clicking pattern... wait about 60 to 70 seconds, try to open "My Computer" but the Window is blank and no change. Computer itself also mostly unresponsive until I closed "My Computer" using Task Manager and removed the CD.

#15 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

[/quote]...102 Richard S,
I was not trying to start a Live Linux CD session yet; just was trying to check if I can view the directory structure on the Live CD's. If the written disk is good, the directory structure should be viewable through "Computer" or Windows Explorer. For actually running a Live CD session, I still need to learn how to enter SETUP menu on my computer in case the "Boot" priority is not set for running startup on CD drive. (Toshiba laptop Satellite, Windows XP sp3). Note, when I had put the linux CD's back into the CD drive so far, I did NOT restart the computer and was NOT trying to run a Live CD session - I was just trying to check if the "Burn ISO" worked.

The list of Linux ISO's I presented were so somebody may be able to say that leaving the live cd session and returning to Windows might be difficult or not.

Thanks so far...[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users