Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card not recognized

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tbcollins

tbcollins

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:18 PM

Recently ran a bunch of malware / antivirus programs to get rid of a zeroaccess trojan. (malwarebytes, mcafee, cccleanter, eset, hitman). Was finally able to get rid of the viruses in the services.exe and desktop.ini files. However once they were cleaned and got everything back to normal, I'm having problems with my video card being recognized by anything. Only recognizing the Intel® and not my Nvidia gtx 560M. It's not listed on the dxdiag page, not showing up as a selectable option for The Elder Scrolls Skyrim. Was working fine a few hours ago. It's listed under device manager just not showing up anywhere else. Just wondering if getting rid of those viruses might have deleted some needed .dll or something. Already tried re-installing the updated drivers and updated my bios. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric Bennett

Eric Bennett

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

Hi tbcollins,

I understand that your card is not being recognized correctly. This could have been from the payload of the malware. The malware may have deleted the driver files, or registry entries. Could you please press (Windows+R) and type "mmc devmgmt.msc" then locate your Nvidia GTX 560M under (Display Adapters >>Your Card) if it is there, and has a yellow or red exclamation mark or X mark, then right click the device and select "Properties" and copy the contents in "Device Status" in this forum using the <> button at the top of the editor. If there is no device, please report. Also, because this is a mobile graphics card, it indicates that you are using a laptop. Could you please specify which laptop you are currently using so I can better identify the issue?

Regards,

Eric Bennett

(ebthepcguy)

Edited by Eric Bennett, 26 July 2012 - 10:08 AM.

Eric Bennett (ebthepcguy) | Helping People One Post At A Time | YouTube Twitter Facebook Email me | Forum Rules Homepage | My Profile

#3 tbcollins

tbcollins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

The Video card is listed in device manager and says it's working properly, just not being recognized by any executed programs.

Model Name Qosmio X775
Part Number PSBY5U-01101F
Serial Number 5B259630K
OS Version Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
BIOS Version 1.80
CPU Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
Physical Memory6144MB RAM
Hard Disk Capacity983,509,753,856 [Byte] 915.965 [GB]
Hard Disk Free Space Capacity547,428,012,032 [Byte] 509.832 [GB]
Video NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M version=8.17.12.9610
Screen Resolution1600 x 900 Pixels
Color Quality True Color (32 Bit)
Sound Realtek High Definition Audio version=6.0.1.6360
Intel® Display Audio version=6.14.0.3074
Network Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller version=7.43.321.2011 MAC Address=B8:70:F4:60:1B:0C
Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter version=9.2.0.206 MAC Address=B4:74:9F:E0:34:10
Modem None
Internet Explorer8.0.7601.17514
IDE Device Seagate ST9500423AS
Seagate ST9500423AS
MATbleepA BD-CMB UJ141EL FW version=1.10

#4 Eric Bennett

Eric Bennett

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:08 PM

tbcollins,I'm sorry the response took so long. Did you try to re install the device software? Are your screen resolutions not listed? If the driver is working and the software is not, perhaps the malware attacked the programs files as a result of the payload.

Regards,
Eric Bennett
(ebthepcguy)

Eric Bennett (ebthepcguy) | Helping People One Post At A Time | YouTube Twitter Facebook Email me | Forum Rules Homepage | My Profile

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

Tried uninstalling the "missing" card in Device Manager...then rebooting and allowing it to reinstall?

Louis

#6 Eric Bennett

Eric Bennett

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

Tried uninstalling the "missing" card in Device Manager...then rebooting and allowing it to reinstall?

Louis

It doesn't appear to be the driver, for it appears to be the NVIDIA Control Panel that is not functioning, as if it were a driver issue, the screen resolution and so on wouldn't be set properly, but it appears to be set properly in his system specifications " Screen Resolution1600 x 900 Pixels"

-Eric

#7 Eric Bennett

Eric Bennett

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

tbcollins,
Try the following fix:

IMPORTANT: AS A PRECAUTION TO RE-INSTALLING DEVICE DRIVER SOFTWARE, IT IS NECESSARY TO WARN USERS TO CREATE A BACKUP OF THEIR COMPUTER BEFORE RE-INSTALLING DRIVER SOFTWARE.

Click here to download the 64-Bit driver.

Click here to download the 32-Bit driver.

Did you try contacting NVIDIA?

NVIDIA Corporate Headquarters
Tel: 1+ (408) 486-2000
Fax: 1+ (408) 486-2200

Did you try contacting Toshiba?

Best of luck,
Eric Bennett
(ebthepcguy)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users