Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beeping on startup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lill

Lill

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

I have:
mobo: GA-P35-DS3L
cpu: E6750 2.66GHz
vid: GeForce 7600 265mb
HDD: WD 160gb 7200rpm SATA
psu: xcilo 460W

When I plugged my computer in at tried to start it after unpacking it started beeping, which is an ongoing but occasional problem. However, what was odd is that the second time it does a usual double beep at the first screen but at the black and white "Start up normally?" screen that counts down unless one hits a key, I would hit a button, the screen would freeze, and the computer would then emit a continuous beep.

I have taken out the graphics card and put it back in, same with the RAM, and I had cleaned the CPU heatsink and fan before plugging it in.

---

I checked the connections to and from the hdd and the position of the cpu. When I tried to start it there was a non-ending tone at the windows logo screen (black background, with logo and loading caterpillar) so I flipped the psu switch. When I turned it back on the beep started the moment the computer did, before the motherboard logo, even.

---

So I tried switching the two RAM sticks from the yellow slots to the red ones and the computer started fine, but when it got to the "start normally" with a countdown screen I found the keyboard to not be working and at 7 seconds left the beeping started.

Then, I tried them one at a time. (in the outer yellow slot).

A was odd, there were no beeps and no display.

So, I tried B, which beeped earlier in the processes of booting.

Then A again and the beeping started earlier still.

Are both bad? Is it something else?

(Through the RAM test I even switched keyboards, from old ps2 to new usb. And neither had any keys pressed. I was using the new one with the keyboard problem and no lights came on on it. Only that one time was there oddness with the keyboard, for the most part the problem that is consistent and enduring is that of the beeps. This beeping has been going on for awhile, and I would get around it by flipping the psu switch and trying again, repeating until it booted without beeping.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:47 AM

The GA-P35-DS3L motherboard manual is found Here. According to Award BIOS beep codes descriptions: 2 short: CMOS setting error
Certain default settings should be set. Either Load default, Load fail safe or Load optimize should be checked if either one would work. But first you must reset CMOS battery by removing this coin from the slot for a couple of minutes. See page 16 for memory module information and configuration.

Tekken

#3 Lill

Lill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

From my understanding, the sound at start up of two short tones of differing pitches would indicate that it was fine. How would the 'all okay' and CMOS beeps be differentiated?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

2 short: CMOS setting error

Sometimes swapping, removing could confuse the BIOS ROM so resetting or clearing and undoing any settings changed would remove these error. A more complete list may be found here on certain beep codes. http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Tekken

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

Hello,

From my understanding, the sound at start up of two short tones of differing pitches would indicate that it was fine. How would the 'all okay' and CMOS beeps be differentiated?

According to your motherboard manual PAGE 77(referenced by jhayz):

Q: What do the beeps emitted during the POST mean?
A: The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems.
(For reference only.)
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error

You could enter Bios setup at computer start-up by pressing <Del> key, then load "Fail Safe Defaults" (see page 50 of manual), select "Y," then save changes (F11). Restart. Any improvement? You could also try "Load Optimized Defaults."

Also, see your manual, page 16, for proper memory placement.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users