Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2007 PST Folder Maximum SIze

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

I use Outlook 2007. Lately I've been getting a message that the PST folder has reached maximum size so I should permanently delete some messages. It also says that I should use the new folders in Outlook 2003 since the PST folder has a larger capacity. This is odd since I'm running Outlook 2007. Any idea what the problem could be? I've deleted a large number of messages and still get the message.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

Is this just a home pc or is it part of a work network using Exchange?

#3 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

It's my laptop. Not part of a network.

#4 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

Even though you have deleted some old messages the PST files stay the same size until you compact them.

How to compact a PST file in Office 2007 => HERE

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#5 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

It sounds like you have an Outlook 97-2002 (ANSI) PST file, which has a 2 GB limit. You can verify this by clicking on Tools > Account Settings > Data Files tab. Select your data file and click the settings button. If it says Personal Folders File (97-2002), then it is the old format. If this is the case, I would suggest creating a new PST data file and moving all of your info in it. The new PST format (UNICODE) has a default max size limit of 20GB. This size can be increased by modifying the registry, but I would not recommend it as performance will decrease and you have an increased chance of corruption within the file.

#6 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:30 AM

That's it. I have a (97-2002)folder.

How do I create a new PST file?

How do I move the contents of my current pst file to the new one?

How can I create this new PST file in a location different from the default location so that backup is easier?

Many, many thanks.

#7 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

To create a new pst file:

-File-> New-> Outlook Data File…
-When prompted (Outlook 2003 and 2007 only), select "Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst)" and click OK
-Choose the location where you want file to be placed (you can rename the file if you like) and click OK
-You can change the display name if you like (this is the name you see in Outlook, it does not have to match the file name) and you may also set a password on the file (usually not needed, unless you want to restrict access to it). Make sure you do not lose the password if you set it, or you will be unable to access the email stored in the PST file. Click OK

To move all data to the new pst file:

-Switch to the Folder List Navigation (CTRL+6). This will make it easier to also copy your Calendar, Contacts, Journal Tasks and Notes folders.
-Now copy all the folders from the ANSI pst-file to the newly created UNICODE pst-file. You can do this by drag & drop but since the default drag & drop with the left mouse button is a "Move" action instead of a "Copy" action you must use drag & drop with the right mouse button. Now when you drop the folder, you’ll get a pop-up menu allowing you to choose to Copy the folder. This copy also copies all the subfolders.
**Depending on the size and the amount of folders and items in your pst-file, this copy action can take quite a while. During this, Outlook could appear to be in a non-responsive state while in fact it is not. A good way to see if Outlook really is not responding anymore is by going to the location of your newly created UNICODE pst-file. Look at the file size and refresh your view every few minutes by pressing F5. If it is still increasing, Outlook is still running as it should.
-To switch back to the default view (Mail View) press CTRL+1

To deliver new emails to your new pst file:

File-> Data File Management…-> select your newly created pst-file-> click "Set as Default"-> click "Close"-> Restart Outlook

To disconnect the old pst file:

Now that everything has been converted and configured properly, you can disconnect the ANSI formatted pst-file from Outlook so it does not show up in your folder list. You can do this by selecting the file in the data files overview of Outlook and pressing the Remove button.

File-> Data File Management…-> select your old ANSI pst-file-> click Remove

When you now close Outlook, you can actually delete the old ANSI formatted pst-file as well to free up some space if you would like. Do not delete the file before disconnecting it from Outlook.

#8 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:21 AM

Outkast:

Question: how do I know which personal folder is the ANSI file and which personal folder is the UNICODE file?

#9 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

In the navigation window I see Personal Folder and under it are all my folders. Below those I see two archive folders and then three more personal folders only one of which has anything in it. Should I delete those three extra folders (after moving anything I want to my top personal folder and then create the UNICODE folder and then move everything to it and then delete the top personal folder?

#10 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

Ah! I think I've figured it out. The copying takes time, that's for sure. Thanks.

#11 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

Thanks. It looks like it's working now. For instance, when I delete an email I don't get the pst file is too big warning. Thank you very much!

#12 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

Great, glad to hear it. Sorry for not responding, I was out of town all weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users