Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Hang

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 stryke297

stryke297

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

I upgraded my desktop to a Gigabyte Z77x-UD3H, a 3570k i5 CPU, and a stick of generic crucial 4gb ddr3. These hardware changes were added a month ago, at the same time I upgraded my 6 year old 320GB HDD to win7 from Windows Vista, when I did this I completely reformatted the hard drive and all its partitions. For this past month I suffered random system hangs that would occur within the first 10 minutes of booting up. If I suffered a system hang I usually would be find within several reboots, the whole process took about two minutes, so it wasn't that inconvenient.

Several nights ago while trying to shrink my primary partition and expand a secondary partition I "apparently" made Win7 unbootable. So for the past several days I've been constantly trying to reinstall Win7. I was being plagued by system hangs which I experienced at every step of the installation process. I got it installed this morning but I took out everything but my HDD, my 1 stick of ram and my keyboard I was able to successfully install and update Win7. I downloaded and installed the audio driver from my motherboard manufacturers website. I downloaded and installed the driver for the onboard graphics from the same location.
I shutdown the PC and put in my 8800 GTX GPU which i have had for almost 4 years. The PC froze at the "starting windows" screen. I tried booting up two more times. The first time I booted up to Windows which judging by when I turned it on to when the clock froze lasted about 8 minutes. The second time lasted for two minutes before freezing. I then booted into safemode which I've booted into various times without freezing at all. So far all I've done in safemode is install the newest non-beta driver for my GPU and restart to boot up normally. I was in windows long enough to open DXdiag just to verify the driver had installed for my GPU before it froze again.

I am able to boot normally with the GPU removed using onboard graphics, and I'm able to boot into safemode with the GPU. I have no startup programs whatsoever. I think this isn't a problem with any program. I can't say that it isn't a problem with Win7 but fairly certain Win7 is working normally. I'm open to suggestion and could use assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:09 AM

I then booted into safemode which I've booted into various times without freezing at all.

If you were able to boot without a hitch in safemode, then its safe to say that that its a software problem. Run your computer in a clean boot. and make sure all drivers are not any 3rd party installed but only by the CDs that came with it or by a support site.

Tekken

#3 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:43 AM

Right after I posted this I started seeing system hangs/freezes on my integrated GPU, which still works just fine in safe mode, the exception being when it freezes a graphical artifact displays for several seconds before the computer restarts.

Again, everything works fine in safe mode. I tried your steps for a clean boot. Using the "hide all microsoft services" and then disabling the four or five results left, the "clean" boot also froze.

I suppose this points to an issue with the OS? or at least an issue with a Microsoft service/program that does not start up in safe mode but is causing issues normally?

Right now I think my options are to try disabling all of the microsoft services to see if that helps(there's probably 200 services listed)reinstall or repair windows, or a system restore to right after I installed the OS.

Edit: I just restored it to the moment after I installed windows, and it's working properly now, so I'm moving quite slowly foward to find the culprit driver or software.

Double edit: this is totally not a hardware problem anymore in case someone feels the need to move this or close this

Edited by stryke297, 26 July 2012 - 02:17 AM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:28 AM

I would go with the clean boot as it may be tedious but if properly done would help solve the mystery. Disable all services and checkmark only the first five. Reboot then let it run in safemode. Hide all Microsoft Services also while doing this step.

Tekken

#5 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

I did all that, and doing a clean boot with only microsoft services still yielded a hang. Anyway, I did system restore back to right after I installed Windows since downloading updates until I have a problem is easier than disabling the 200 microsoft services until I don't have a problem...I am fairly certain that one of the "important updates" downloaded through Windows Update is causing issues.

Update: The system hangs when I am using integrated graphics are directly related to drivers. When I download the drivers from the manufacturer or when I find the device through device manager and have it update that way, after I restart I get system hangs. Once I boot up in safe mode and roll back the drivers everything is fine. What is the issue here?

Edited by stryke297, 26 July 2012 - 01:26 PM.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:33 AM

What is your current BIOS version?

Tekken

#7 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:48 AM

F11, most current version. It's been flashed to this version for almost the entire time I've owned it.

#8 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I have noticed that Windows files installed across my partitions. I have a separate partition; E:\ in which I have a handful of large installers and steam located on and that was it, however I noticed after installing windows on the unallocated space (which made two partitions) I also had a Windows, Program Files, and Program Files (x86) folders located on my E:\ which I can't completely remove, however when I try to delete them(which fails) it corrupts the rest of my operating system located on the other two partitions become corrupted and Win7 boots to a plain black screen with a mouse icon(which I can move) I can't pull up task manager, ctrl alt del do nothing, windows key+L do nothing. If Win7 would install on its own two partitions and leave my special little E:\ alone maybe I wouldn't be having issues?

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:10 AM

Well you might wanna go with a clean install this time to declog this window.old folders and files. You might be pointing an install to a different partition. Make sure to backup your files before doing any system recovery.

Tekken

#10 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:32 AM

Actually, after doing a clean install and getting rid of all windows.old files and keeping windows in its native two partitions, I was able to use my GPU and boot up into safemode and install the GPU's drivers, and so far I've been able to run windows in normal mode without a hitch. If I was to use integrated graphics with updated drivers it still freezes though(which is a non-issue as long as using my GPU for display is working. I'll give it a thorough run through before we confirm this as "solved".

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:46 AM

Have you eliminated the 8800 GTX from your mobo or are you just using the onboard graphics this time? Please do update us of your progress.

Edited by jhayz, 28 July 2012 - 03:47 AM.

Tekken

#12 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:51 AM

I haven't used the 8800 GTX since my original post. I reinstalled windows on what I thought was a clean istall(but wasn't because of the files put on my partition) and I wasn't able to use my 8800 GTX to update its drivers because it wouldn't boot at all, and I wasn't able to use integrated graphics (updated) in anything but safemode.

so after I made sure I had a clean boot, I connected my 8800 GTX, and booted into safe mode to install its driver(which I couldn't do before). This whole time I'm using the default not updated integrated graphics driver. So currently I'm using my 8800 GTX with the current driver without a hitch. So before IDK why I couldn't use my 8800, maybe it was related to my OS being across three partitions, but now the only issue I'm still having is using integrated graphics with its correct driver (which still doesn't work). However integrated graphics not working correctly is a nonissue assuming my problem is solved, which I'd like to wait sometime to verify that it is.

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:57 AM

After doing a complete reinstall, start with a chipset driver then onboard video, audio, network. Then later you could add the card to the slot and install the correct driver. I see clean boot - clean install which confused me. :)

Tekken

#14 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:04 AM

Actually I just ran into a problem. Windows Update just downloaded the suspect integrated graphics driver, and I'm not sure how to roll back that driver while using my 8800 GTX as primary display, as well as making sure it doesn't get automatically downloaded again.

Just to verify, I am using my 8800 GTX right now with the most current update flawlessly(I'm 98% sure). but as soon as I can' figure out how to roll back integrated gfx driver, I'll download drivers in order of chipset driver then onboard video, audio, network until all !'s are removed from device manager.

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:21 AM

Windows Update just downloaded the suspect integrated graphics driver

Windows does not supply updates for any graphics AFAIK. There are details or you can view this ready updates that are available to download however. Motherboards usually have CDs for the installation of these drivers. The chipset, video, audio are sometimes integrated on one disc. The updated version of installers are only supplied by the support site to fix and enhance their product.

Edited by jhayz, 28 July 2012 - 04:22 AM.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users