Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop keep shutting down

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Esko

Esko

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

So I have this laptop that was shutting down whenever it wanted. I called my local computer shop and they said it could be over heating and that they would clean it out and be fine. So I brought to them and they worked on it and now tell me its the hard drive thats failing? Does this seem accurate? Would my computer just shut off like someone pulled the plug seem like a hard drive issue? Should I replace this hard drive? I just don't want to put a hard drive put in olny to find out that wasn't the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:19 AM

Safemode booting will determine if its a hardware(hard drive or any other components)problem. There are certainly many causes as to why a PC suddenly would shut down. Thermal or faulty hardware generally or corrupt and infections on the software part. Usually users like us take this issue to free help forums like bleepingcomputer and others before referring it to a repair shop to solicit solid advice.

Tekken

#3 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

TESTING A HARD DRIVE

Hello user,

If the hard drive is failing, you can run some test to make sure.

Testing the hard drive is relatively easy if you have access to another computer to burn the bootable CD. It is always best to use the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic software, if possible . If you know the manufacturer of your hard drive, then refer to Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics. Review the page, download the DOS version for your hard drive, burn it to create a bootable CD, and run both short and long tests.

If you don't know your hard drive manufacturer:
  • Download the Seatools for DOS version by clicking the "Downloads" tab, selecting operating system, then "Download - accept license agreement. Burn the "SeaToolsDOS223ALL.Iso" image to a CD so it is bootable.
  • If you don't have software to burn an "Iso" file to CD or don't know how:
  • Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk" then under "Source" click on the "folder icon" Posted Image to the right and select the "iso" file location.
  • Click on this icon to "Start." Posted Image
[/list]
  • Restart your computer with the Diagnostic Disk. (For how to set CDROM drive to boot first, go here)
  • Run the Short test first and then the Long test.
  • If given the option to repair the drive, allow it but ONLY if you have backed up all important data on the drive.
  • Any reported errors in either test should make you suspect a failing hard drive.
Let us know the results.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#4 deb001

deb001

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

Hi,
My name is Debbie.

I am sorry to hear about Overheating issues with your system. Yes Firefoxthebomb is absolutely right; you can check the hard drive faults by following those steps. Automatic shut down issue could be due to overheating ,For overheating you can first check the air cooling vents and make sure that the passages are not clogged with lint and other stuff.

Simply raising your laptop off of any flat surface will allow fresh, cool air to come in from the intake on the bottom of the laptop. This will solve many of the heat issues you might be having.
Also, let it be known that you should NEVER have your laptop on any type of soft surface, such as a pillow, blanket, thick carpet, etc.; Doing so will not allow ANY cool air to enter the fan intake, and could cause more system hang ups and permanent component damage. Keep it on a flat, hard surface at all times

Remove the battery and charger/ac adapter/power cord from your notebook, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds to discharge any residual current inside the laptop. This clears your RAM and is like hardware reset. Replace the battery and charger/ac adapter/power cord and turn your notebook on.

Boot in "safe mode". See if your notebook works normal.

If the problem persists, did you check if it could be your notebook power cord or power source problem? Insufficient power might cause error messages that are misleading. Take the battery out and power on your notebook with the charger only. Make sure your notebook power jack and charger plug tip are securely connected. Did you notice the power jack loose?

Run the Hardware Diagnostics.

Update the Bios Of your computer.

Please reply in case you have any questions.

Thanks & Regards
Debbie_B

Edited by Orange Blossom, 04 August 2012 - 08:15 PM.
Removed spammy content. ~ OB

Thanks & Regards
Debbie_B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users