Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2nd hard drive not recognized in Windows / Vista

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bat5454

Bat5454

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

I built an AMD rig 4 or 5 years ago - Windows Vista, nothing fancy - my first build;
the hard drive (160 gb) was filling up so I added a 2nd hard drive (WD 500gb) a couple of years ago.

The 2nd hard drive worked fine for a year or so, but lately doesn't always show up in Windows at boot-up.
If the computer is left on for a while (an hour or 2, it varies) eventually the new drive shows up as a 'new volume', like windows just found new hardware.
When it finally shows up, the data on it is there & no problems, until the next bootup.
I've tried updating drivers for it but they're up-to-date. I've tried moving it to a different sata connection on the MoBo - no help.

Any ideas? is the drive failing?

thanks for any help
BT.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

If there is anything on that drive you would hate to lose then you should back it up.

The drive may be failing. When you turn on the computer can you go into the BIOS setup and see both hard drives and the optical drives every time?

If not leave it in the bios for a while and then restart and see if the drive then shows up?

The other thing to try use a different cable, connection on the motherboard and power connection in case one of them is bad.

From a cold start can you put an ear on the drive and see if it is spinning or making funny noises? A Stethoscope would work but not having one myself I just use a long screwdriver and put an ear to the plastic of the handle and put the blade on what I want to listen too.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 25 July 2012 - 01:51 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Bat5454

Bat5454
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

Yes - the 2nd drive is always visible in BIOS, but then when Windows loads its not there in Explorer or the device mgr.

I've also tried to have windows look for new hardware, but it doesnt find it - then in an hour or 3 the 'new volume' pops up.

tks

BT

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

I would still put the ear to it just in case.

The other possibly easier test to see if it is something that is thermal in nature would be:
Turn on the computer, go into the bios and let it sit 3 hours, for example to warm up then boot windows and see if it is there right away.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Bat5454

Bat5454
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

Thanks Roger - I tried your suggestions.

Apparently it was the cable, because when I changed it the 2nd drive has started showing up in Windows consistently.

Strange how it would show up in BIOS but not in windows with the bad cable....anyway, its working now.

Appreciate the help !!

BT

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

Somewhat strange. However glad to hear it is OK now.
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users