Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop overheating. Now fails to boot.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Five Foot Mama

Five Foot Mama

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

Hi,

I have a Gateway NV52 running Windows 7. Recently it started turning itself off while I tried to boot it. Occasionally, it would boot all the way and then appear to work fine. When I began researching the problem, I realized that it was overheatin badly. Sometimes the bottom would get so hot that it would almost burn me...

I read that dust and junk commonly builds up in between the heatsink and the fan so I checked that out. Sure enough, there was a large layer, which I removed. I had too loosen the heatsink and pull the fan out to get to it. I tried starting my computer afterwards- it turned on and then shut itself off within a couple of seconds. After more thinking and research, I thought that maybe I had damaged the thermal paste when I loosened the heatsink, so I went in and reapplied it. I also reset my CMOS battery.

I tried rebooting again. This time the screen asking if I wanted to run a system repair came up. I said yes, but when it asked me if I wanted to revert to an earlier point in time, I cancelled out, not thinking that it was necessary. It then turned off, which I assume is normal.

Now, every time I try to boot, it stays on for about 15 seconds before turning off. I can't enter setup or anything. Do you think that too much thermal paste could cause this? Is it time for a new computer or can this one be saved?

Thanks in advance,
Colleen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Esko

Esko

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

I had the same thing happen to me but I brought it in to Geek squad and they told me it was the hard drive was failing and I need a new hard drive? I thought it would've been what Collen said about the fan and overheating? Colleen I thought Geek squad was trying trying to get more money out of me, but maybe you could look at your hard drive?

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

Yes too much thermal paste can be a problem. Too much is a bad as not enough.
Do not forget to clean both surfaces with Isopropyl Alcohol, What I use.

Read this article. When replacing the heat sink to the CPU there are usually numbers by the screws and you tighten them in order, 1, 2, 3, 4.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/howto_install_cpu_and_apply_thermal_paste
Step 2: Apply the thermal paste

Looking around the internet, you’ll find a lot of different philosophies about how to apply thermal paste. Some people say you should apply it in a dot, some a line, some two lines, some an “X,” and so on. Truth is, all you’re trying to do when applying thermal paste is to get a paper-thin layer of the stuff over as much of your CPU as possible. For that, a dot is pretty much perfect, since a dot will squish into a circle, which will hopefully reach to all 4 edges of the CPU.

To eliminate the hard drive just take the hard drive out and see if it keeps running. If it still shuts off that eliminates the hard drive.

NV52, NV53, NV54, NV56, NV58, NV59.
Q: How do I replace the hard drive on the notebook?

A: The hard drive on the notebook is able to be replaced by the end user. Before replacing the hard drive ensure that you have the Restore or Recovery media for the notebook and, if able, that all data backed up.
http://support.gateway.com/s/notebook/2009/gateway/nv/nv52/NV52faq4.shtml

Put a bath towel down before turning the laptop over to prevent scratches. Handle the hard drive like it was fragile glass.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 26 July 2012 - 03:56 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 deb001

deb001

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

Hi Colleen,

My name is Debbie,

I am sorry to hear about Overheating issues with your system. First check the air cooling vents and make sure that the passages are not clogged with lint and other stuff.

Simply raising your laptop off of any flat surface will allow fresh, cool air to come in from the intake on the bottom of the laptop. This will solve many of the heat issues you might be having.
Also, let it be known that you should NEVER have your laptop on any type of soft surface, such as a pillow, blanket, thick carpet, etc.; Doing so will not allow ANY cool air to enter the fan intake, and could cause more system hang ups and permanent component damage. Keep it on a flat, hard surface at all times

Remove the battery and charger/ac adapter/power cord from your notebook, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds to discharge any residual current inside the laptop. This clears your RAM and is like hardware reset. Replace the battery and charger/ac adapter/power cord and turn your notebook on.

Boot in "safe mode". See if your notebook works normal.

If the problem persists, did you check if it could be your notebook power cord or power source problem? Insufficient power might cause error messages that are misleading. Take the battery out and power on your notebook with the charger only. Make sure your notebook power jack and charger plug tip are securely connected. Did you notice the power jack loose?

Run the Hardware Diagnostics.

Update the Bios Of your computer.

Please reply in case you have any questions.

[b]Thanks & Regards
Debbie_B

Edited by Orange Blossom, 04 August 2012 - 08:14 PM.
Removed spammy content. ~ OB

Thanks & Regards
Debbie_B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users