Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix Auto-Downloader

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Science

Captain Science

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

I have used Combofix for many years now, and using the older version of it, as well as using the former links from infospyware I could create a batch file to download the program automatically so I have the latest version and I can make sure the virus removals I do for friends and family are more hassle free and faster. Is there any way to get a permalink to Combofix. I understand how potent the software is and much about what it can do and how it operates, but I would really appreciate not having to download it every day since my auto-scheduled and auto-run Batch files worked great before but now that I have to download it every day it becomes a hassle to use the things I created to make it easier.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

You can still download it from http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

#3 Captain Science

Captain Science
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

Grinler. Thank you for that link, however when using Bitsadmin to download it automatically for me, it fails sometimes. So I have created a workaround for that by just using the auto-downloader and having it run more than once and creating several different files for Combofix.

That way hopefully one of the downloads of the 4 that I have setup will succeed and the rest are deleted every night.

Curiousity strikes me though, as to if other people have found a more stable way to download Combofix automatically. *note* I have my auto-downloader set in several different versions, some with live download and auto-run and others with just auto-download. As well as some with prompt mode and non-prompt mode.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

That link is as stable as it gets. I am not sure why it would be an issue.

I would prefer, though, that you use a program like wget that has command line options to only download if the file is newer. That will save me a lot of bandwidth and prevent issues frmo happening for you as I routinely blacklist IPs that constantly download CF or other apps.

#5 Captain Science

Captain Science
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

Grinler. I have tried Wget in the past, well some of my co-workers have and to no avail. I will definitely give it a shot. I will let you know if I have any trouble.

Also I believe I have found the source of the instability in the download. I noticed that my co-workers have been saving information on my storage drives in my computer and if they are moving them over the network it will definitely lag out my Bitsadmin connection.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

I use wget and curl extensively against my downloads. There should be no issues using it.

#7 Captain Science

Captain Science
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

Now using Wget and it is working phenomenally. Thank you very much.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

Please make sure you are using wget with the -N option. This makes it so it only downloads if it is newer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users