Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not start

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Monologue

Monologue

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

First of all, I read all the beginner stuff, and I'm still not 100% sure where to put my problem, because it could be a hardware issue, but I don't know if it is or not. So, I'm using Windows 7, so I put it here. If that's wrong I'm really sorry :c

Okay, the problem started yesterday when I was doing some routine updates. I'm using a Sony Vaio, btw. Anyway, I went to do a BIOS update, and it started fine enough but my computer froze for about 5-8 minutes. Then my anti-virus popped up (Kapersky) and informed me that the driver was being installed in a hidden way. I wasn't sure if I wanted that to happen or not, so I told it to stop the process. Then the computer froze again. I waited 15 minutes, and it was getting pretty warm, so I tried doing a manual shutdown, and nothing happened. I tried doing that several times over the course of 5 minutes with no success. Then, and I know this was INCREDIBLY stupid of me, I went and pulled the battery out of the computer to shut it down.

Now it won't turn on. I let it charge for 8 hours, just to see if that would make a difference, but it hasn't. So I guess what I'm asking is, did I ruin my machine???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 th3p00r

th3p00r

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

what happen when you press the power button? any LEDs lit up?

#3 Monologue

Monologue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

Not a thing. No lights, no nothing.

#4 Monologue

Monologue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

Bump-
I really need some help, anything. Might I need a new battery?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

What model Vaio, please?

What battery did you remove?

If the system is a laptop and runs fine when using a wired power connection...please advise.

Louis

#6 Monologue

Monologue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

Okay, the model is: PCG-61411L It is a laptop. I removed the battery on the bottom back of the computer. The one with the lock and release slides. Also, even though it's been plugged in, it still won't turn on, with or without the battery in it.

#7 deb001

deb001

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

Hi,

My name is Debbie.

As per my understanding your system is not powering at all, I am sorry to hear about power issues with your computer. I can suggest you few steps which might fix the issue or might solve your purpose.

Remove the battery and charger/ac adapter/power cord from your notebook, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds to discharge any residual current inside the laptop. This clears your RAM and is like hardware reset. Replace the battery and charger/ac adapter/power cord and turn your notebook on.

Boot in "safe mode". See if your notebook works normal.

If the problem persists, did you check if it could be your notebook power cord or power source problem? Insufficient power might cause error messages that are misleading. Take the battery out and power on your notebook with the charger only. Make sure your notebook power jack and charger plug tip are securely connected. Did you notice the power jack loose?

Please reply in case you have any questions.

Thanks & Regards
Debbie_B

Edited by Orange Blossom, 04 August 2012 - 08:31 PM.
Removed spammy content. ~ OB

Thanks & Regards
Debbie_B

#8 Monologue

Monologue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:38 PM

Thank you for the advise, Debbie. I took out the battery and the power cord and pressed the power for 20 seconds as you instructed. When I put the battery back in, the computer still wouldn't turn on. I tried again, this time without the battery and it still didn't work. I checked out the cord and the jack on the back of the computer, and they all seemed to be in working order. I'm honestly not sure what I did that is causing it to not turn on at all... Do you think anything besides the power source might be broken?

#9 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

Hello,

If the computer was powered off during a BIOS update, then there's a very good chance that the BIOS is corrupt. If the BIOS is corrupt, the computer won't start. In all probability, the computer will have to be serviced by an authorized Sony repair facility to re-install a functioning BIOS.

Regards,
Brooks

#10 deb001

deb001

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

HI,

Thanks for following the troubleshooting steps I suggested you, well as your system is still not powering on. Itís definitely a POSSIBLE HARDWARE issue; most probably it could be a Motherboard failure. So in this case I can suggest you to speak to Sony Technical support.
Thanks & Regards
Debbie_B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users