Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel Can't open files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Beaumonts

Beaumonts

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:25 AM

I have quite a few folders with Excel workbooks in. When I move the folders to another folder/directory and try to open the Excel workbooks I get an error message showing the former directory where the files were saved and that the files could not be found. Never had this problem before always been able to move files and folders around without any problems.

I am using Excel 2003, Windows 7 the server where the files are stored is Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard v.6.1 (build 7600)

Hope somebody can help! Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 judyjht

judyjht

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

Sometimes when I cannot double click a file to open in Excel - I open Excel and then File - Open and then open it that way - no issues doing it that way. No idea why! Give it a shot.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

The fact that your are moving them is the problem as I see it. The workbook has most likely got the old directory information as where to look.

Try working around it this way. Open in the original directory, save in the new directory. Then as a double check. rename the old original directory and make sure the workbook works from the new directory before doing anything permanent to the old location.

Hope this helps
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users