Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer hangs/restarts under heavy load with USB devices attached

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 snake5

snake5

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:47 AM

This started to happen a few days ago and is successfully detected and prevented but since I'd like to replace some of my old hardware, it'd be good to diagnose it further.

The original problem was like this: I just turn the PC on, run a game - and it hangs after some time or even reboots, one time it also gave a BSOD (0x8E,usbstor.sys). So I tried to follow the lead by moving the mouse to a PS/2 port and unplugging the external hard drive. Suddenly, no such problems occur.

History: This PC already has had some problems with USB, namely the front connectors - some of them don't get the data but provide power to devices. I also have some invisible (unknown) devices "plugged in" - they show up in Device Manager but they don't actually exist. If there might be a shortage in the case, I'd like to know that and order a new case with the other components.

So what I'd like is to find out what was at fault and whether I need to prevent it (and how to do it) on my new hardware.

Currently I have an Antec 550W PSU and an Asus M2NMX-SE motherboard. All of my hardware is 2-3 years old, except one of the hard drives which I've had no significant problems with for more than 6 years.

P.S. Memory has been tested, External HDD has been tested by plugging it back in (probably not in the same port though) again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:55 AM

I would give the system another complete install so as to rule out hardware or software first before replacing or upgrading any component.

Tekken

#3 snake5

snake5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:53 AM

I've reinstalled the USB hubs multiple times. Windows always detects unknown devices (which don't exist). Not using any fancy drivers or tools. The first front USB hub has problems on Windows systems (it's one of the sources of unknown devices), I suppose it just silently discards problems in Ubuntu. The second front USB hub just doesn't work (except for providing power to devices).

Edited by snake5, 26 July 2012 - 01:54 AM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:21 AM

USB hubs are different from ports.

Tekken

#5 snake5

snake5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:36 AM

Well, in fact, I did reinstall everything under those hubs too. Even removed all of the non-present devices once. Didn't fix it anyway.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

If any of your USB ports look like the ones on the page linked below you found a problem. IT says lenovo but the picture of the damage dports covers every brand.

Here is an example of a damaged USB port where the tab on the port in the lower portion of the photo has been broken. If a USB cable or device were inserted, it is likely the pins will be bent and might short out, causing the boot hang symptoms described above.
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/tkb/articleprintpage/tkb-id/R_Series_Thinkpads@tkb/article-id/5

If you do have ports like that unhook them from the motherboard and see if your problems go away.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 26 July 2012 - 04:14 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 snake5

snake5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:19 AM

I don't have any ports like this. And unhooking the ports didn't help - the crash happened with devices attached to back ports, unknown devices are still in the list.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:00 AM

Download MiniToolBox and checkmark :
.List last 10 Event Viewer log
.List Users, Partitions and Memory size
.List Installed Programs
Click Go
A notepad Result.txt will appear. Copy-paste the results on your next reply.

Edited by jhayz, 27 July 2012 - 02:07 AM.

Tekken

#9 snake5

snake5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:37 AM

It won't help.
1. Event log is cluttered with entries about services starting up and shutting down.
2. It's definitely a hardware issue since it shows up on two different configurations - Windows XP and Windows 7, and the unknown devices are showing up even with all of the real, existing devices unplugged completely.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:54 AM

the crash happened with devices attached to back ports, unknown devices are still in the list

This Microsoft article may help regarding unknown devices.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users