Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Task Manager is shadowed out

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 richierein

richierein

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:02 AM

When I right-click on the task bar, I notice that "Start Task Manager" is shadowed our and inaccessible. Is there a fix for this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric Bennett

Eric Bennett

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

richierein,
Please download and run this file. Post if it works or not.

Regards,
Eric Bennett
(ebthepcguy)

Eric Bennett (ebthepcguy) | Helping People One Post At A Time | YouTube Twitter Facebook Email me | Forum Rules Homepage | My Profile

#3 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

Thank you very much. This worked like a charm. The only thing that angers me is that someone from another forum provided only snide remarks to reinstall the OS without having the knowledge that you do and it cost me a night's sleep. Your solution solved this problem is less than 60 seconds. Thanks again.

#4 Eric Bennett

Eric Bennett

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:14 AM

richierein,
You're very welcome, I'm so glad that it worked. Also, what other forum did they reply in snide remarks (if you don't mind me asking) I'm kind of curious on why they couldn't help you with such a simple problem. Also, if Windows Task Manager was disabled, it might be a sign of an infection. I recommend that you run a scan with Malwarebytes and see if it detects any threats, if so, remove them.

Also if you don't mind, paste the scan results here using the "<>" button in the editor because of apparent liability issues that a moderator alerted me about.

Best regards,
Eric Bennett
(ebthepcguy)

Eric Bennett (ebthepcguy) | Helping People One Post At A Time | YouTube Twitter Facebook Email me | Forum Rules Homepage | My Profile

#5 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

The inappropriate reply came from Windows Seven Forum. I would not have expected the reply to be only 'Reinstall". I posted your reply on their forum for future users.

I still have one more problem. When I click on 'Start Task Manager', I am told that C:\Windows\System32\taskmgr.exe' does not exist. I checked the file in that account and it does exist but when I click on it, I get the same response. Can you help me with this? I tried copying taakmgr.exe from another Windows 7 PC but that was a 64 bit machine and I have a 32 bit.

Edited by richierein, 25 July 2012 - 06:27 PM.

#6 Eric Bennett

Eric Bennett

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

I don't quite know why task manager won't run, but I can suggest a free alternative to Task Manager:
  • Download sysinternals suite from microsoft technet and unpack.
  • Find and run procexp.exe.
  • Click in Options menu on Replace Task Manager and than Restore Task Manager.
  • Click Ctrl+Alt+Del or on taskbar Run Taskmanager. Settings are restored and MS Taskmanager works fine. Because of my habit I can´t work without sysinternals.

(Taken from http://superuser.com/questions/271351/cant-open-task-manager under the Creative Commons License rev 2012.7.25.3473 © 2012)

Regards,

Eric Bennett

(ebthepcguy)

#7 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

Wow! Amazing! Thank you.

Richie

Edited by richierein, 25 July 2012 - 08:47 PM.

#8 Eric Bennett

Eric Bennett

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:52 PM

You are quite welcome, I love helping people

-Eric

#9 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

C:\Windows\System32\taskmgr.exe' does not exist.

It seems you were infected.This error can occur if your task manager was previously hijacked by rogue.

Download

Autoruns

Extract and launch autoruns.exe

Allow it to scan and click on IMAGE HIJACKS tab

You may find TASKMGR entry,uncheck it,try to launch taskmgr now

or

Just download the registry key

temp fix

Launch it,click YES

Try to start task manager

Edited by narenxp, 25 July 2012 - 09:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users