Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SMART HDD Virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 jfrano

jfrano

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

Recently I discovered that my laptop Toshiba Satellite L505 with Windows 7 was infected with the SMART HDD virus. I came across your great site. I ran the steps indicated to remove the virus. The system seemed fine, was able to see the destop and files. I rebooted after running a full scan and that has been it . When I reboot from safe mode, the system stops on CLASSPNP.SYS and I will see the error “The program can’t start because %hs is missing from your computer.

I see your solution to Mike, who seemed to have an identical problem. I ran a few of the steps and will attach the mbr.bin, frst.txt and mlog.txt files. The symptoms are still the same as when I first started. Perhaps you can prescribe a solution?

--- When I select the option “Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure", I just get a black screen and it hangs there.
Attached File  mbr.zip   5.32KB   1 downloads
I’m realllly hoping I wont have to reformat the drive as all my files are not backed up including some recent family pictures. Please help!!!!
Thanks Joe!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HelpBot

HelpBot

Bleepin' Binary Bot

• Bots
  • 12,600 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer!

I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:

Posted Image In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.

CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/462349 <<< CLICK THIS LINK

If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.

Posted Image If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:

• If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.
  • A new DDS and GMER log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.
    • Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.
    • If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.
    • If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
    • If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.
  • Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.
  • Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.

Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again:

• Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

We also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit Scanner.

Please note that if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, you should not bother creating a GMER log.

Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:

Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal Advice

Then create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:

How to create a GMER log

As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

#3 CatByte

CatByte

bleepin' tiger

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,664 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

very sorry for the wait, the forum has been very busy lately

Please do the following:

Open notepad (Start =>All Programs => Accessories => Notepad). Please copy the entire contents of the code box below. (To do this highlight the contents of the box, right click on it and select copy. Right-click in the open notepad and select Paste). Save it on the flashdrive as fixlist.txt

start
HKLM\...\Run: []  [x]
SubSystems: [Windows] ATTENTION! ====> ZeroAccess
1 wyylhkuj; \??\C:\windows\system32\drivers\wyylhkuj.sys [x]
2012-05-09 20:34 - 2012-05-09 20:34 - 00000144 ____A C:\Users\All Users\-UURQAsNmsVjerfr
2012-05-09 20:34 - 2012-05-09 20:34 - 00000000 ____A C:\Users\All Users\-UURQAsNmsVjerf
2012-05-09 20:25 - 2012-05-09 20:25 - 00000256 ____A C:\Users\All Users\UURQAsNmsVjerf
end

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system

Now please enter System Recovery Options then select Command Prompt

Run FRST (or FRST64 if you have the 64bit version) and press the Fix button just once and wait.
The tool will make a log on the flashdrive (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.

Reboot Normally.

NEXT

Refer to the ComboFix User's Guide

• Download ComboFix from the following location:

Link

* IMPORTANT !!! Place ComboFix.exe on your Desktop
  • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with ComboFix.
    You can get help on disabling your protection programs here
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • Your desktop may go blank. This is normal. It will return when ComboFix is done. ComboFix may reboot your machine. This is normal.
  • When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Post that log in your next reply

Note:
    Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Ensure your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications are re-enabled.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: If you encounter a message "illegal operation attempted on registry key that has been marked for deletion" and no programs will run - please just reboot and that will resolve that error.

Microsoft MVP - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

#4 jfrano

jfrano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:29 PM

THANK YOU!!!!

Everything seems fine.
There must have been allot of corruption took a while to complete. Made a donation. You guys and gals are the best.
I've attached the two log files

Attached Files

#5 CatByte

CatByte

bleepin' tiger

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,664 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

that looks much better, but I'd like you to run a couple of scans to look for any left overs and broken services,

please run the following:

• Please open your MalwareBytes AntiMalware Program
  • Click the Update Tab and search for updates
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. <-- very important
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Extra Note:If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

NEXT

Go here to run an online scanner from ESET.
  • Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the activeX control to install
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is unticked and the Scan Archives option is ticked.
  • Click on Advanced Settings, ensure the options Scan for potentially unwanted applications, Scan for potentially unsafe applications, and Enable Anti-Stealth Technology are ticked.
  • Click Scan
  • Wait for the scan to finish
  • When the scan completes, press the LIST OF THREATS FOUND button
  • Press EXPORT TO TEXT FILE , name the file ESETSCAN and save it to your desktop
  • Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Press the BACK button.
  • Press Finish

NEXT

• Please download MiniToolBox and save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List installed programs.

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt) that pops up. A copy of result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
NEXT

Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.
  • Make sure the following options are checked:
    • Internet Services
    • Windows Firewall
    • System Restore
    • Security Center
    • Windows Update
    • Windows Defender
  • Press "Scan".
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

#6 jfrano

jfrano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

Ok , will do tonight. After I finished the previous steps last night I ran a Full scan with MS SEssentials, it found two severe viruses a Trojan and a Java. I will attach that log as well tonight.

Thanks

#7 CatByte

CatByte

bleepin' tiger

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,664 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

ok thanks, hopefully what MSE found was already in quarantine, so be sure to include the paths where those detections were found

#8 jfrano

jfrano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

I'm attaching the files as requested. I was unable to run the ESET scan, received the dialog to accept conditons Y and Pressed START, then just received a blank window.

Again thank you so much for your help!
Joe

Attached Files

#9 CatByte

CatByte

bleepin' tiger

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,664 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:05 PM

I suspect those detections by MSE are in quarantine already, if you scroll down in the information pane, it should show the location of the infected file found.

Try deleting your browser history and cookies, then try the ESET scan again

NEXT

Visit ADOBE and download the latest version of Acrobat Reader (version X)
Having the latest updates ensures there are no security vulnerabilities in your system.

NEXT

Your Java is out of date, so go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features > scroll down to the Java installation and Remove it, now download the latest Java version 7 update 5 and install it: http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

NEXT

Please advise how your computer is running now and if there are any outstanding issues

#10 CatByte

CatByte

bleepin' tiger

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,664 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:14 PM

do you still need help with your machine?

#11 jfrano

jfrano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

No problem all fixed, Thanks again Joe.

#12 CatByte

CatByte

bleepin' tiger

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,664 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:22 PM

ok, but we should remove all the tools

You can delete all the Farbar logs and programs from your desktop.

NEXT

Follow these steps to uninstall Combofix

• Make sure your security programs are totally disabled.
  • Press the WinKey +R to open a run box
  • Now copy/paste Combofix /uninstall into the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the ..X and the /U, it needs to be there.

Posted Image

If there are any logs/tools remaining on your desktop > right click and delete them.

NEXT

Below I have included a number of recommendations for how to protect your computer against malware infections.

• It is good security practice to change your passwords to all your online accounts on a fairly regular basis, this is especially true after an infection. Refer to this Microsoft article
    Strong passwords: How to create and use them
    Then consider a password keeper, to keep all your passwords safe. KeePass is a small utility that allows you to manage all your passwords.

• Keep Windows updated by regularly checking their website at :
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer.

• Make Internet Explorer more secure
    • Click Start > Run
    • Type Inetcpl.cpl & click OK
    • Click on the Security tab
    • Click Reset all zones to default level
    • Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & Click Custom level
    • In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to "Prompt", and ("Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe") to "Disable".
    • Next Click OK, then Apply button and then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

• Download TFC to your desktop
    • Close any open windows.
    • Double click the TFC icon to run the program
    • TFC will close all open programs itself in order to run,
    • Click the Start button to begin the process.
    • Allow TFC to run uninterrupted.
    • The program should not take long to finish it's job
    • Once its finished it should automatically reboot your machine,
    • if it doesn't, manually reboot to ensure a complete clean
    It's normal after running TFC cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time.

• WOT, Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:
    • Green to go
    • Yellow for caution
    • Red to stop
    WOT has an addon available for both Firefox and IE

• Keep a backup of your important files - Now, more than ever, it's especially important to protect your digital files and memories. This article is full of good information on alternatives for home backup solutions.

• ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed. The standard registry backup options that come with Windows back up most of the registry but not all of it. ERUNT however creates a complete backup set, including the Security hive and user related sections. ERUNT is easy to use and since it creates a full backup, there are no options or choices other than to select the location of the backup files. The backup set includes a small executable that will launch the registry restore if needed.

• In light of your recent issue, I'm sure you'd like to avoid any future infections. Please take a look at this well written article:
    PC Safety and Security--What Do I Need?.

Thank you for your patience, and performing all of the procedures requested.

Please respond one last time so we can consider the thread resolved and close it, thank-you.

#13 CatByte

CatByte

bleepin' tiger

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,664 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users