Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange phone call and mysterious happenings

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wavemaker

wavemaker

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/5JmeLrsDq2WI7rA8HWxmYEp

Gooday all at BC. Last evening I received a call from some one claiming to be from Windows service centre. The bloke had what could have been an Indian accent. He advised that they had been receiving messages from my computer about it being infected and having other difficulties. He also wanted me to grant him access to my computer. Being the suspicious type of bloke that I am, I told him that although I would like to trust him, I couldn't. He advised that he could give me a service ticket number to prove he was genuine. I advised him as before, no way. He called his supervisor to the phone to try and convince me that everything was above board but I advised her the same as I did to the other chap. No Way.
I have had a couple of strange things happen, the most recent was Skype just starting it's self with no input from me. Another instance was that the computer would not come out of screen save mode when I moved the mouse. It did as soon as I pressed a key on the keyboard.My query is this. How can I check if there is something wrong in my computer(Speccy above)as the bloke suggested, and was I being over cautious by refusing to let that person look in my computers guts? Help and suggestions will be most appreciated. James.
When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:10 PM

That phone call was definitely a scam. See here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic403252.html for more information and more specifically this post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic403252.html/page__view__findpost__p__2456465

As for the two problems you mentioned, I have no clue.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 24 July 2012 - 08:11 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

Microsoft does not receive messages from you computer saying it's infected or having problems.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:57 PM

Re: Mouse issue > Go into Device Manager>> right click "Mouse" and Properties>>Power Management, add tick from "Allow Device to wake Computer.>>OK
This only works with some systems, but it works on mine -

Re: Skype issue > The Skype forum is good at these problems -

Good Luck -
Spelling Edit -

Edited by noknojon, 24 July 2012 - 10:01 PM.

#5 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

Thanks all. I'm glad I'm a suspicious bloke.
When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:11 PM

Hi -
I forgot to leave this link for Skype Forum -

Good luck and well done with those rogues
I always say will it work on my Mac -

0 user(s) are reading this topic