Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP TouchSmart tx2-1370us Recovery Discs Failure

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 deelo

deelo

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

I am posting on behalf of my sister. Here is her story:

Her TouchSmart tx2-1370us notebook's screen broke a while back. It was under warranty from where she bought it from so it was sent off to be repaired. When it came back the screen was fixed but there was a note stating they had lost her Windows 7. The computer loaded and ran perfectly fine but it had the 'this is not a genuine copy of windows' pop-up. She claims she was unable to read the product key sticker under the computer good enough to get it to accept anything she entered. When she called the store, they told her HP would be able to help recover it. HP sold her recovery discs that were supposed to restore the computer. It is a 3-disc set, 2 labeled System Recovery DVD Windows 7 Home Premium and 1 supplemental CD labeled Application & Driver Recovery CD. The CDs were ran multiple times always coming up as unsuccessful after the first 2 CDs. I won't get into her customer support experience but she claims she spoke on the phone with HP 6 times over the course of a week and nothing they had to say or offer helped. Always unsuccessful recovery message. She gave up and I said I'd try.

After a little searching I found a patch on HP's web site which would supposedly fix the recovery discs issue. The patch was installed correctly, green checkmark and all, and all 3 CDs ran through successfully. The computer rebooted and the HP Software Installation screen ran for a while before another restart then the usual recovery unsuccessful message. I tried it plenty of times with the same result everytime. I saved the log from the last go at it and will post it below. It appears the BIOS states Vista as the OS but she bought the computer pre-loaded with Windows 7. Could there be something in that fact causing an issue?

Someone suggested to reset the BIOS to factory defaults but that didn't work either.

When saving the log to USB I could see all the files, there's 3 drives listed SDV(C:) Local Disk(D:) & BOOT(X:)

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is the log:

--------------------------------------------------
[ 2:30:01.41] Entering Checking OS Edition...
----------------------------------------
[ 2:30:01.41] Check RStone.ini file to determine the requried edition.
[ 2:30:01.44] Exiting Checking OS Edition...

[ 2:30:01.46] Check if Upgrading Win 7 is required.
----------------------------------------
[ 2:30:01.47] Current Edition is [HomeBasic]...
[ 2:30:01.47] Required [Starter]. Don't need to upgrade...
[ 2:30:01.47] Required [Starter] ...
[ 2:30:05.17] Required [Starter] Edition. But, OS is not [Starter]...
[ 2:30:05.17] Upgrading OS edition might have some problem...

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Image Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Current edition is:

Current Edition : HomeBasic
The operation completed successfully.

Component: TDC Preinstall Diagnostic Tools for Windows 7 - TDC
Error found: You have set Vista Flag on a Win 7 image, please use EEPROM to set ~OS SKU~ value = 2
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ 2:38:37.07] ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***Factory Update Failure !! ***
[ 2:38:37.07] Suggest to create PIN-log and send to TWN PDC NB-PreinPM for further analysis ...
[ 2:38:37.07] ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ 2:29:20.80] Start BBOffline.cmd...
UPDrv=[C:]
[ 2:29:21.35] Set UIA Error Code to 951
[ 2:29:21.68] Starts [FixUps].
[ 2:29:21.68] ---------------------------------------------------------------------
[ 2:29:21.68] FixUps.cmd...
[ 2:29:21.68] create overall progress info...
[ 2:29:21.72] FixUps.cmd completed...
[ 2:29:21.72] ---------------------------------------------------------------------
[ 2:29:21.72] Starts [Tweaks for SSRD].
[ 2:29:21.72] ---------------------------------------------------------------------
[ 2:29:21.72] SSRD Tweaks to change user default locale...
[ 2:29:21.72] Copy C:\System.sav\Util\TDC\MCPP\FBIRES\FBIUSRES.DLL.
[ 2:29:21.76] Run "IntlCfg.exe -skudefaults:en-US -image:C:".
[ 2:29:27.64] ---------------------------------------------------------------------
[ 2:29:27.64] Starts [Sleep 10 sec].
[ 2:29:37.68] Starts [Create RStoneFUpdate.INI].
[ 2:29:47.78] Starts [create 1GB Pagefile for offline].
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 60E6-4F60

Directory of C:\system.sav\bbv

01/01/2001 02:29 AM 1,073,741,824 pagefile.sys
1 File(s) 1,073,741,824 bytes
0 Dir(s) 26,019,311,616 bytes free
[ 2:29:47.85] Launch PININST.exe for Offline ...
[ 2:30:13.27] Start SysID Check...
[ 2:30:16.34] Start Option Code Checks...
[ 2:30:18.37] Start PIN Tweaks...
[ 2:30:19.44] ---------------------------------------------------------------------
[ 2:30:19.44] PIN Tweaks to hide All for BurnBoot BBV and BBV2 on restored image...
[ 2:30:19.44] Update PININST_BBV.ini ...
[ 2:30:19.46] Update PININST_BBV2.ini ...
[ 2:30:19.48] Update PININST_BBV2POST.INI ...
[ 2:30:19.49] Update PININST_BBVClean.INI ...
[ 2:30:19.52] ---------------------------------------------------------------------
[ 2:30:20.40] Start Factory Update(s)...
[ 2:30:27.43] Start QFE Offline installation...
[ 2:38:36.81] PININST_OFF: PASSED...

[ 2:38:36.91] Type C:\System.sav\Logs\BBFindEr.log...

[ 2:38:36.93] Type C:\System.sav\Logs\BBFindE0.log...

---------- C:\SYSTEM.SAV\LOGS\BBFIND4QFE.LOG
[ 2:38:36.93] Check FUList.log if there is duplicate Desc...
No duplication.
[ 2:38:37.05] No Duplicated Desc is found... PASSED.
[ 2:38:37.05] There was no Factory Update...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

[ 2:30:01.47] Current Edition is [HomeBasic]...
[ 2:30:01.47] Required [Starter]. Don't need to upgrade...
[ 2:30:01.47] Required [Starter] ...
[ 2:30:05.17] Required [Starter] Edition. But, OS is not [Starter]...
[ 2:30:05.17] Upgrading OS edition might have some problem...

You might want to call HP again and see if she should send back the disks in exchange for Windows 7 Starter disks (or Home Basic if she qualifies) based on this snippet. Or maybe they know if formatting the drive first would help.

I remember (but might be wrong) that model shipping with Vista Starter or Vista Home Basic and was probably upgraded before being sold to her so it probably needs Windows 7 Starter for an upgrade (there's a hardcoded upgrade path on the computer) (I think Windows 7 Home Basic has geographical restrictions but I don't know where your sister lives :) so it may apply)

Maybe the shop she got it from has the tool to unlock it for Windows 7 Home Premium so she can check with them first.

I'm a little surprised that a screen repair wiped the drive and that they would put a non-genuine OS on it but I'm sure that I don't know all the details.

Hope This Helps
James

#3 deelo

deelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

That all makes perfect sense to me because the log basically says right there we have a Vista flag set so...

just to be clear..

If the computer is saying it's Vista HomeBasic and wants Starter, yet she purchased it with Windows 7 Premium, then we should request Windows 7 Starter or HomeBasic recovery discs? or do we need Vista recovery discs? Is the computer only worried about the Starter/HomeBasic/Premium part or will no Windows 7 recovery work b/c it has a 'Vista flag' set? I just want to make sure I talk them into sending the correct discs b/c they are very difficult to deal with and I may not get a couple chances before they start ignoring me altogether.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

I know that you said she could not read the product key off of the label on the laptop but it should also say what OS it had pre-installed. Can she read that part? If so, does it say Windows 7 Home Premium or does it say a different OS?

I'm afraid that you'll probably have to ask HP or the shop that she got it from what OS she needs before trying another OS.

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 25 July 2012 - 05:56 PM.

#5 deelo

deelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

There's a Windows 7 sticker on the computer but as far as the product key sticker, there is no indication of what version. Since HP had on file Windows 7 Home Premium, I'm assuming that would be what it had when it was purchased (new from a store). Could I just download Windows 7 Premium to an ISO from Microsoft and try a new installation. I think I could read the product key with a few tries. It's not that obscured..she just gives up easily apparently. If I would try this installation should I format first or leave as-is? any ideas about this method of going at it before I request and wait for different recovery discs?

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

I have never seen a product key sticker without a full OS version name on it (I just looked at 3 desktops and 5 laptops to make sure) so I am probably not able to help you since this is something that I'm not familiar with.

Sorry
James

#7 deelo

deelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:32 PM

well maybe it's cuz they (either HP or Nebraska Furniture Mart) upgraded (maybe it's an upgrade license ya think?) it before it was sold to the customer or maybe it's completely rubbed off..idk but it's a genuine sticker and license. microsoft's site shows examples of product stickers w/o OS version http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Software.aspx#Packaging

if you could comment on the following, i'd appreciate it.

Could I just download Windows 7 Premium to an ISO from Microsoft and try a new installation. I think I could read the product key with a few tries. It's not that obscured, just really faded..she just gives up easily apparently. If I would try this installation should I format first or leave as-is? Do you think the BIOS thinking it had Vista will prevent a clean Win7 install? Thanks.

Edited by deelo, 25 July 2012 - 06:41 PM.

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

I really can't help you because you have no indication that the product key you have is for Windows 7 Home Premium.

The link you posted is about labels on "Packaged" software and not "Pre-installed" software. Apparently, you do not have a pre-installed software sticker with product key on it so I have no way of knowing what product that product key is for. Wish I had an answer for you but I simply don't. Maybe someone else does.

James

EDIT: Here is a link about Pre-installed COA labels and recovery media
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

Edited by NeverSayDie, 25 July 2012 - 06:59 PM.

#9 deelo

deelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

I called HP and they list the operating system for the computer's serial as Windows 7 Premium 64-bit, but yes as you said there is no indication on the computer or sticker itself this is correct.

I understand b/c of this you can't tell if a clean install of said version would work...but how about:

1. are you aware of any real risks if i attempt to install the incorrect version?
2. let's assume for a second, the sticker did in fact list Win7 Premium. Should I format the HDD before install or leave the files and partitions created by the attempted recovery process?

Thanks.

#10 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

This all kind of weird with all of this happening from a screen repair. I don't want to discuss improper topics on this forum so I'll just tell you what you can ask the shop that fixed the screen.

Ask them if it is possible that they removed the tattoo from the BIOS somehow and if they are authorized to fix that. If that is the case, it should let you use the recovery disks.

If not, you need to contact HP and tell them what happened and they will probably direct you to someone who can reset the tattoo on the BIOS or send you different recovery disks.

If you install a retail version of Windows 7 on it (which will require a format), I can't be sure that it would activate or function properly with the product key that you have. At the least, you would have to also install the drivers from the driver disk HP gave you and I don't know if that disk also checks for the BIOS tattoo.

James

#11 deelo

deelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

Alright I appreciate it.

My sister only told me 'screen repair' but now i get the details. her screen wouldn't turn on, as in the computer wouldn't boot up so that makes a little more sense. Anyways, I will call. It's not actually a shop, it's the insurance that covers her computer's hardware that the computer was sent to. We'll see if they can decypher what i'm talking about...

#12 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

I looked in my notes on HP tattos and here is a way that you might be able to confirm that it is the problem. This does not work if they replaced the motherboard or reflashed the BIOS though.
Somewhere on the computer there should be a sticker showing the BID number. That number should match the number printed on the recovery CD's that you got except for the last number (it may end with a different number but all the others should be the same). If this does not match then you need HP to send you the proper recovery CD's because they sent you the wrong ones. If it does match then you need to call and find out if the repair changed the tattoo and have them change it back to the correct one.

James

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

If they changed the Motherboard then it is possible they didn't use the proper software to put the information into new motherboard.

Toshiba calls it the DMI information. Lenovo calls it something else.
Failure to update the motherboard properly will at a minimum cause a recovery partition or disk set to work as they can not tell what model they are supposed to be installing to. In general the same motherboard fits more than one model. And as James says if you do not tattoo (update) that information you end up where you are now.

It sounds to me as if your sister needs to get a hold of the insurance again as the compute4r was not properly fixed.

I advise anybody to only buy a extended warranty from the maker.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#14 deelo

deelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

It appears the BIOS tattoo must have been altered by the shop that (did, in fact) install a new motherboard.

I ended up downloading Windows 7 Home Premium and creating my own bootable DVD using Microsoft's tool. It took about 10 tries, but luckily, i was able to read the product sticker and get it right. Win7 is now activated and running. Thanks all.

#15 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

Hi Deelo

Thanks for letting us know what happened.

I'm glad you were able to get it fixed.
James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users