Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with HDD's and windows files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mecharonin

mecharonin

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

Hi there my name is cody and i have a question about HDD's with windows files on them. I'm getting a new computer today and it has room for extra SATA hard drives. The computer will come with a 500GB SATA hard drive installed, but from the two other computers i have i want to take the HDD's out of those and put them in the new one. The new one will not have hot swap (i don't know what that means anyways). the two HDDS i want to put in are 250GB seagate barracuda, and i'm not sure of the other one only that its 128GB. However the HDD's i want to put in are the local disk C of both computers thus they will have all the OS files on them, the problem is that i don't want to wipe the hard drive before i install them as i have lots of data i want to keep. So my question is "Will i be able to put these two hard drives into the new computer without it going loopy with the windows files and without having to wipe the hard drives."
I read somewhere that when you install windows it takes sort of a snapshot of your chipset and hardware architecture, so hopefully it won't conflict and i'll just be able to go in and delete all the files i don't need.

Thank you for any and all help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:44 PM

As long as you set the primary drive that came with the computer as your primary, you shouldnt have any issue running them as slaves. Once you got it booted up you can go through and manually delete all the windows files to save space if you want, or if it was my system, transfer all your files to your primary drive from the slave drives and reformat them, then reinstall the files you want onto them that way you have the most usable space possible.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users