Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Open File

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 unclemarine

unclemarine

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

I downloaded an audio file from the United States Marine Corps band web site. In the past I have downloaded many of these free music downloads, they have all been MP3 files, this last one is an M3U file it will play on the computer but not on any CD player??
Is there any way to get this to play on a CD player?? I put the music on a CD and sent it to our association president and he called and said he could not get it to work. I tried the CD on my computer -no problem-tried it on 2 different CD players - did not work. I am attending my outfit (5th Marine Division) reunion in Reno and we would like to play this at the "Memorial Service" when we honor all our Iwo Jima buddies that have made the final roll-call.
UncleMarine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

Your M3U file is a playlist (see Wiki). It doesn't contain any music -- it just "points" to where the songs are and the order in which they are to be played. Your computer can interpret a playlist, but CD players can't.

Since the playlist (.m3u file) can be used to stream music from the internet you first need to determine if the actual music files (.mp3, .wav, or some other format) are on the internet or were downloaded to your computer.

What's the USMC Band site's address?

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

What's the USMC Band site's address?

My guess is: http://www.marineband.usmc.mil/

Then Audio Resources Tab

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:18 AM

I think you may be right, Animal. :thumbup2: They seem to have a ton of downloads available -- more than I can go through -- but all the ones I've found are MP3s. I was hoping to find the M3U to see if it was playing downloadable MP3s or streaming from the site, which might indicate a possible problem with rights.

BTW, love their harmonica! :wink:

#5 unclemarine

unclemarine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

Thanks for your input.

The web site is: http://www.marineband.usmc.mil/
When on the home page: Click Audio resources, next
Click on Web exclusives, next
Scroll down to New Music Corner, the file is "Quiet Heroes-a Symphonic Salute to the Flag Raisers on Iwo Jima, next right click the title, in the box that comes up click on save target as... from that point your on your own.

UncleMarine

#6 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

Yep. The playlist includes 4 tracks. When I try to go to the page that the four tracks are on all I get is a message that says I've gotten there by mistake. They may not have the rights to enable downloads, but since it's in the "New Music corner" they just might not have gotten it into a downloadable collection yet, like the others. You should contact the site administrator to see if you can get permission.

Alternatively, is there any way you can hook a laptop, tablet, etc., to the sound system at your memorial service? The computer would have to be connected to the internet (possibly a problem if the service will be outdoors), but you could then stream the music and play over the sound system. (Make sure this works at a dress rehearsal first, but it shouldn't be too hard.)

Good luck!

(EDIT: To fix some grammar mistakes.)

Edited by Capn Easy, 27 July 2012 - 08:18 PM.

#7 unclemarine

unclemarine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

Capt Easy: I don't understand why you could not download the file I did download it, and it is still in the download folder (Windows7) in addition I did put it on a CD, also when I click on the file in the download folder it starts ,to play in "Microsoft Media Player"??
Thanks for the possible solution!!
UncleMarine

#8 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:41 AM

I can download the playlist -- the .m3u file -- and when I double click it the music will play. But the music files (MP3s) are streaming from the website, not on my computer. And it's the music files that are on a page that is apparently not intended for public access for direct downloading.

Edited by Capn Easy, 29 July 2012 - 12:43 AM.

#9 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:55 AM

Reading the some what fine print on the page, the last line states for streaming only.

Quiet Heroes (A Symphonic Salute to the Flag Raisers of Iwo Jima)*
Chris Brubeck/trans. Patterson*
2011 Christopher Brubeck
Col Michael J. Colburn, conducting
Wilford Brimley, guest narrator

Performed by the Marine Band on Feb. 23, 2011, at George Mason
University's Center for the Arts Concert Hall in Fairfax, Va.
*This selection is available for streaming only.

From: http://www.marineband.usmc.mil/audio_resources/web_exclusives/index.htm#newmusic

Bolded emphasis mine.

Edit: The MP3 tracks can be saved but, given the notice, I wouldn't think it advisable.

Edited by FlannelBack, 29 July 2012 - 02:51 AM.

#10 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:50 AM

Thanks, FlannelBack Somehow I missed the fine print! :blush:

#11 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:53 AM

Me too. I saved the tracks and then went back and re-read. Oops. So now deleting.

#12 unclemarine

unclemarine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

Thanks all:
I guess we all need to do a full reading in the future. All this tech talk is way over my head, I just had my 87th birthday July 5th.
UncleMarine.

#13 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

Well, happy belated birthday! :thumbup2:

And do check with your association to see if they can stream this program.

#14 unclemarine

unclemarine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

Again thanks and will do.
UncleMarine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users