Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE8 Fails to open a new window

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 krazykat

krazykat

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

Hello,

I posted this topic on the XP forum

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic457080.html/page__p__2735874__hl__krazykat__fromsearch__1#entry2735874

The moderator determined I might hace a virus and closed the tipic and asked me to post on this forum.

CURRENT STATUS:
Can boot to a non functional desktop, mouse and keyboard do not respond
Can boot to SAFE MODE (F8). IE8 is fully functional in safe mode.

Would appreciate help in solving this problem

THANKS!!

Suggestions for next troubleshooting steps appreciated.
FOR REFERENCE Here is a brief history from the previous post

Here is the original problem statement and the results ( refer to the original post for full details)

Suggestions for the next steps appreciated

I have a problem with IE8. My system is Windows XP PRO SP3. My current version of IE8 is: IE8.0.6001.19702.XPSP3_gdr.120411-1615.
Problem: IE8 open OK and can access new web sites in the CURRENT, opening window.
When I pull down FILE and select New Window OR select CTRL-N OR CTRL –T a new windows tries to start, but IE “hangs” and never finishes opening the new window. The task bar at the bottom on the screen shows the new window and the first opening window. I can right click on the new window icon in the bottom task bar, then click on CLOSE. Some times the new window closes, sometimes not. Also right click on the opening window and select CLOSE – Sometimes the new window closes, sometimes the opening window closes along with IE8 closure.

What I have done:
Preformed the disk check and fix at boot time- problem still present.
1. Started IE8 with run : iexplore –extoff I have no problem starting a new window. Any of the three ways; down FILE and select New Window OR select CTRL-N OR CTRL –T. produces a new window. I can open as many new windows as needed.
Important for item #2 below. While in the mode, I went to Tools, Manage Add on’s and disabled all addon’s.
2. Started IE8 normally from desk top icon, with all add on’s disabled. See item #1 above. Same problem, could not open a new window.
3. Completely removed IE8 , with ADD/REMOVE programs. Then down loaded and installed a fresh copy of IE8. Same problem, still unable to open a new window with the new copy of IE8 with no add on’s installed.

RESULTS:
I tried going to a new window/tab with Firefox. No problem, could go to a new window using ALT-N or the drop down menu. Firefox is not affected by issue with IE8.

Did you try going to the tools menu in IE8, then the advanced tab, Restore advanced settings and Reset buttons. YES --- Did not solve problem.
Try going Here

Went to the link you posted. Contains a lot of suggestions. I tried the registry edit/replacement -- did not work (all though I think it was meant for WIN7 and I have XP). Also tried the CMD to use the regsvr32 --did not work. There are several other suggestion that I will try.

My last post was made after I had made the changes mentioned. I went to shut down the laptop. The desktop was present but totally non responsive to the mouse or keyboard. I could not select START, shutdown nor was CTRL,ALT, DELETE responsive. I had to use the POWER button to turn OFF.

POWERED ON, but same problem. Booted to desktop display, but mouse, nor keyboard was recognized.

POWERED DOWN, then UP and used F8 key to boot to Last known good configuration. Same results, no response to mouse or keyboard.

POWERED DOWN, then UP and used F8 key to boot to SAFE mode, with Internet. Safe mode booted OK, Mouse and keyboard active, could access internet using IE8. Amazingly, IE8 was fully functional; Ctrl-N produced fully functional new windows!.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users