Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Design

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 forgivenone

forgivenone

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:50 PM

:thumbsup: This is just about how I feel right now. I'm supposed to design a computer network for a coffee shop as a school project and have no clue what I'm doing-can someone help?? The coffee shop is 400 square feet and we're supposed to design a system that will support 5 computer stations along one wall of the shop while providing wireless access to other customers. The shop owner is on a tight budget and wants only what is expensive as needed. We're supposed to recommend a system: file server, terminal-to-host, or client/server? Which protocol should I recommend and which network switching device should I recommend for the 5 computers on the LAN and for wireless access? I'm going to suggest cat 5 cabling but need to know something about which media type would be best suited for the project?? What telecommunications device should the coffee house purchase? and which Internet Service type would be best (I'm going to recommend DSL???) Not only am I supposed to answer these questions but I need to give a cost estimate for the whole thing and guys and gals I do not know where to begin. This is such short notice because I'm supposed to turn in the assignment by Friday 3-10-06 and I just found this site today. If anyone could help and can get back to me that would be great. If I don't fully understand how to access your response here please email me at REMOVED EMAIL ADDRESS

Modorator remove email address to protect member from spammers ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 08 March 2006 - 02:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:33 PM

First welcome to BC. We are happy you choose to join our community. I removed you email so that you are not flooded with spam.
The internet issue is fairly straight froward.
Pick a WiFi router, less than a $100
A hub (4 port or larger)$40 to $100
Cat5 to reach your station (2-20' 2-10') $50 to $100
Print server (optional) $70
NAS (Networked Attached Storage) less then $300 example
The protocol will be TCP/IP. The standard.

I prefer cable but DSL will be fine. You will pay twice as much a month (or more) for being a busniess. I recommended the NAS instead of a server so you would not have the expensce of a server. Divide the drive up and assign password protection to each folder. I assume you will be offering storage to the customers? 400 sq ft is a tiny space. 20x20 feet. Set the router on a shelf above the computer stations and reach should not be an issue. I would be very cause offering storage to your customers. All kind of sticky issues could arise for securing the files, to storing illegal software on your machine. Most users will probabily have online storage anyways.
How you secure you LAN is up to your, but I would not have the store computers on the same internet connection as the public LAN. You leave store buniess open to everyone. Put the store computers (cash reistes, work computes) on a seperate router. I woold make it wired. Have the 5 work stations and the public WiFi on the second router. If you add a full server instead of a NAS you can add $1000 to the cost plus learninig how to use the server software. My opinions were based on doing it cheaply, right? For your work stations learn on of the live versions of Linux (DSL, Puppy, knoppix, Unbuntu,..). This will run from RAM and reduce the time reinstalling windows because of malware and malious clients.
It is pretty simple actually.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 forgivenone

forgivenone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:26 PM

:thumbsup: Thanks for being so quick about a response and for watching out for me with the spam. A great help you have truly been.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:25 PM

Please do not act solely on my suggestion. There are as many way as stars in the sky. Another member will have a different approach that may be better suited for your needs. Research what I have given you, but give it a day or so for more replies.

Good Luck.

#5 forgivenone

forgivenone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:45 PM

You gave me a starting point which is what I needed. That's what I'm thankful for.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:26 AM

You are very welcome. Good luck on your project. Please post and let us know how it went.

#7 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:07 AM

Acklan can you do my homework to pleas...

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:11 AM

:thumbsup:

#9 forgivenone

forgivenone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:22 PM

I suppose Klinkaroo has never had to ask for help??? :thumbsup:

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:59 PM

Oh yeah he has. That is why he is picking at me... :thumbsup:

#11 hwarner

hwarner

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:40 PM

You are a life saver!!

I have the same assignment due today and I was totally lost.

This is great information - thank you!

#12 kandi34

kandi34

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:50 PM

I can not believe I found this. I have this exact same project. This has really helped. I was a little lost and this example is a huge help. Thanks.

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2006 - 03:56 AM

Nice to see the post is still helpping.

#14 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:06 AM

Oh yeah he has. That is why he is picking at me... :thumbsup:

I didn't get this many post only by helping people :flowers:...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users