Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

desktop icons cannot be accessed after internet access

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pj/dee

pj/dee

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

This is the first time I have posted here and request some advice as I have spent the past four hours attempting to find a solution to my issue.

Upon startup, the desktop icons are accessible, however, upon opening/closing of Internet Explorer, the icons will not even highlight, let alone open. This is both left click (single and double) and right click actions. The right click will not work on the desktop image/wallpaper itself either.

I have run malware, virus, and spybot, repair computer, scan computer, and a host of several other options I was able to read about in other forums. None have fixed the issue.

I am also not the most computer literate person in the world either, so please don't laugh to hard when I say I actually have no idea what operating system I am actually running (nor was I able to determine how to find out), and don't even know if this is an operating system problem.

I began a new post as the search I tried brought up only 1 similar entry, but it was not the same problem, and the other posts I have read aren't really the same issue as I am experiencing.

Sincerely,

PJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

Forget the desktop...does Windows Explorer work? Can you open files using Explorer view?

Have you tried safe mode for both Explorer view and your desktop icons?

Any onscreen error messages?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users