Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help after re-installing Win7 OS.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yorocco7

yorocco7

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

recently had to re-install Win7 on my 2009 Acer Aspire 5738Z. The laptop originally came with Vista. I had the hard drive partitioned in half. D: is running Vista. I didn't want to nuke it in case of an emergency. That was a good call because Win7 went bad. C: now runs fresh install of Win 7 64x Pro. I bring up the fact about Vista so you know this was not a native Win7 machine. After the OS re-install & a million window updates & reboots later I was left with some questions.
-I have just some basic programs installed so far. My work Outlook (several gigs), office 2010, firefox, chrome, skype, teamviewer, iTunes (fresh install no music). I looked in C: in Computers & I'm using 59G of a 100 G HDD! Does that sound normal? I think I saw right after the Win7 install & all updates it was just over 40G used! Should Win7 & all needed updates amount to 40-50+ G of space? If not what have I done wrong?

-So far the system seems to be running fine. I'm just not sure if i have all the needed drivers for my laptop. I've noticed when I use the volume buttons no icon displays on the screen. It always showed up in Vista & the old Win7. That make me think I might be missing some drivers after the re-install. How can I find out if I have all the needed & up to date drivers?

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

I'm trying to figure out what your first question is and it seems you're asking about the space used, is that correct? If so, empty the recycle bin and reduce the space allotted to system restore. The restore points are using a lot of space.

As for drivers, after installing W7 did you go to the website of your laptop manufacturer and download and install all of the appropriate drivers starting with the chipset driver? If not, do so now. Open device manager. Do you see any yellow or red symbols?

#3 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

Sorry for the confusion I'll restate my 1st question.
-Does 40-50G taken up right after the install of Win7 & all Win7 updates sound like a lot of used hard-drive space for just the OS?
I emptied the recycling bin, but there wasn't much in there.
I'm not sure what you mean " Reduce the space allotted to system restore. The restore points are using a lot of space". I just did a fresh reinstall of the OS, I'm not sure what would happen if I tried to go back to a "restore point".
-No I have not been to the ACER website to look for drivers. I'm always nervous about messing with drivers. That is why I'm looking for advice from this forum so I don't screw anything up.
Thanks!
Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:26 AM

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/5482/make-system-restore-use-less-space-in-windows-7/

Also, you can use treesize to see where the space is being used (http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/)

#5 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:33 AM

I've noticed when I use the volume buttons no icon displays on the screen. It always showed up in Vista & the old Win7.

Yes you need to install ACER launch manager

You can download your drivers from here

http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=1121

Click on Applications tab-download launch manager

Install it and restart the PC.Volume and brightness buttons should work now

good luck

Edited by narenxp, 25 July 2012 - 05:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users