Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden Files?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 XanderGabriel

XanderGabriel

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:23 PM

for some reason, my C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings folder has almost 4k files in it, all hidden.. i've tried to view hidden files, and it shows nothing.. its slowly eating my HD.. any ideas?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 XanderGabriel

XanderGabriel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:25 PM

actually, i just checked.. there's 12k files in it.. is this a virus, or am i an idiot?

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:44 PM

It could be hidden system files. Are you sure is 12 k and not 12 B or 12 G?

12KB = .012MB
12KB = .000,012GB

A floppy holds 144,000 KB. 12kb is a very small amount and would not make a difference in your available hard drive space, or at least very little.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:25 PM

What file extention are the files?

#5 XanderGabriel

XanderGabriel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:26 PM

to answer the first question.. no, as in.. 12,140 files,.. not sure about the size of each... but right now its sitting at 164 meg on disk

to answer the second.. dunno, cant see or view them.. but if i right click the folder, and view it, it says they are there

Edited by XanderGabriel, 08 March 2006 - 08:28 PM.

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:39 PM

Try this. The system restore - turn it off and reboot the system and then recheck for the problem, if it solves the problem then turn system restore back on and lower the space required to a lower setting.

#7 XanderGabriel

XanderGabriel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:11 AM

tried that.. nothing..

it sucks because i tried having norton check that folder, and it says there's nothing wrong with it.. but when i search for all files in the folder, it says there's nothing in it.. but when i right click on the folder, it says there's 12,380 files in it (now)

Edited by XanderGabriel, 09 March 2006 - 10:14 AM.

#8 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:15 PM

You could try using a neat utility called SequoiaView which shows an intuitive
graphical representation of all the files in any folder tree. It can be downloaded at:

http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

Look for some very dense areas in the file usage map.

#9 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:50 PM

Did you click on Tools>Folder Options>View Tab>Show Hidden Files & Folders

Dump you Temp Folder & TIF Folder and see how big the folder is.

#10 XanderGabriel

XanderGabriel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:07 AM

Used the sequoia view ( thanks btw) .. found alot of files, mostly *.htm files... but i still cant access them, view them while actually still in the folder, or find them by searching.. any ideas? yes, i enabled view all files.. still no luck

its not like i'm gonna run out of HD space anytime soon. but i think it may be slowing down my pc.. its up to 13,000 files already...

#11 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:18 AM

Did you also untick hide protected system operating files (recommended)?
(at the risk of asking an obviuos question)

Edited by phawgg, 10 March 2006 - 12:18 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#12 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:50 AM

Hi there,

Navigate to the folder in question, but don't open it just yet. First try this: Right-Click the folder, select properties, and untick Read Only, and Hidden if they are not already. Then click on the Sharing tab, and make sure that the "Make this folder private" box is unticked. As it reads right there, you can drag the folder into the Shared Documents folder, maybe this might work.

The contents of this folder include files such as eMail user information, saved passwords, and other important files that certain programs need to run. Also, this is where IE stores Temporary Internet Files, and saved browser history.

This may be why it seems large, but if it makes you feel any better, there is over 300MB in mine. I access this folder quite frequently, because this is also where Firefox stores user chrome files, and other files that as an Extension hobbiest, I need access to.

In my opinion, I think that depending on the size of your hard-disk, amount of Apps. you have installed, and the frequency that you clean out your IE Temp files, this is most likely not problematic.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#13 XanderGabriel

XanderGabriel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:23 AM

so.. what you're saying is.. ( in the last part).. is this isnt a problem? :thumbsup: well I feel sheepish

ok, sorry to have bothered you guys.. i noticed it does save files in it that i can view, but some that are unviewable, no matter what i do.. or even non searchable.. ah well

are these what people call cookies? and if so, how can i clear them, if at all possible?

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:39 AM

Open IE and click tools, then Internet Options.

In "Temporary Internet Files", Click "delete cookies", delete "files", then click "settings" and make the amount of space that these are to use smaller if you want.

Change days to keep in history to a smaller amount of days.

Edited by Enthusiast, 10 March 2006 - 10:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users