Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Problem Trying to Get Rid of "iCore" Software

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Snyder

Snyder

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:50 AM

Here's my situation:
  • My netbook was infected. I ended up cleaning through it.
  • One of the files infected was part of the "iCore" software. iCore is a virtualization software.
  • After disinfecting the computer, I constantly get "Unable to Local Component" errors.
  • Even after manually uninstalling iCore, this persists.

I've contacted iCore support with no reply. The website is here: http://icoresoftware.com/
Here's a screenshot of the error I am constantly getting:
Posted Image

I get this error EVERY TIME a new process tries to start, be it a browser, a Windows Explorer window, etc. I'll get this error and then it will start. Yes, I've tried reinstalling the software, even then uninstalling again, to no avail.

What can I do? It's as if my system is still seeing iCore as installed and is trying to virtualize every process I run side-by-side with Windows. I really just want to get rid of these constant errors!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,546 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

<<...after manually uninstalling iCore...>>

What, exactly, what did you do to uninstall this program?

http://icoresoftware.com/support.html

That's a beta program that you installed...that means you are a guinea pig trying to help them come up with a final product. I suspect that explains the lack of response from the support personnel there.

Combine that with your malware experiences...and I would suggest restoring to factory defaults as a quick resolution.

Louis

#3 Snyder

Snyder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

<<...after manually uninstalling iCore...>>

What, exactly, what did you do to uninstall this program?

http://icoresoftware.com/support.html

That's a beta program that you installed...that means you are a guinea pig trying to help them come up with a final product. I suspect that explains the lack of response from the support personnel there.

Combine that with your malware experiences...and I would suggest restoring to factory defaults as a quick resolution.

Louis

Went into XP's "Add or Remove Programs" menu and uninstalled it.

I'm not really ready to throw in the towel and completely wipe this hard drive. I'd just like to see if anyone else has a better solution. If there's some way I could reinstall the app and replace that DLL somehow, or something like that, to get this from borking? Or maybe someone knows how I can more completely "uninstall" this so that that error won't show?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,546 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

Well...tenacity is a good quality...when called for.

As I see it...you have a system that may still be infected...may have various files damaged by both the infection and your attempts to neutralize (whether successful or not)...and a beta program installed that evidences little, if any, support for issues arising from the beta. Those are the knowns right now...they may not be the only system issues, it will hard to tell unless you are willing to go through an examination of the known issues at this moment.

If you are willing to do that, the first step (IMO) would be to move this post to the Am I Infected forum and allow us to try to remove the consideration possible malware still on the system.

Once that process is completed, we can then turn our attention to the presence of non-malware issues.

It's your system, it's your call.

I suggested what I construe an expedient alternative in terms of time and effort by you. You have a netbook, you don't have a MS Genuine XP CD which could be used to repair system files (if necessary), and netbooks are built to use the restore-to-factory defaults as an expedient when problems arise. You also probably think that the situation is simpler than I have painted...but my view is just that of a person looking over what you have posted...and seeing it with eyes that are not in the "wishful/hopeful" mode of dealing with computer situations.

As I said, it's your call...but the malware possibility should be the first obstacle removed before considering others, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 July 2012 - 08:34 AM.

#5 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

They have a clean up utility,try this

http://icoresoftware.com/store/iCoreCleanupUtility2.0.exe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users