Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PPTX files downloaded as zip files

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

I have OS XP(3), IE8, Office 2010

I am trying to d/l a pptx file from our organizational website (that I use regularly). The file is shown as a pptx file (as displayed by the properties feature), but when I click to d/l it, it shows up as a zip file to be opened and the computer tries to unzip it, but doesn't do a very good job in doing so.

I have tried to d/l other pptx files from other internet sites and they work (d/l) OK.

I have the same OS on another laptop and it d/ls this particular file from this particular site just fine.

I can change (rename) the extension on this file (from zip to pptx) and it works fine

I have tried everything reccomended on various PPT forums and it hasn't worked.

The file association is Microsoft PowerPoint.

The file d/ls perfectly with Firefox.

What is it about the configuration of XP/IE8 that lets this happen?

The issue here is that this particular file has been posted to the website for members of our organization to d/l and use. Many of these members are not savvy enough to be able to 'manipulate' the file and use it as it was designed. I am tryng to make this d/l as user friendly as is possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:00 AM

Read this

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_xp/ie8-changes-downloaded-office-files-to-zip-why-and/98a0b844-a806-4ab2-a705-8b864e87da54

#3 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

Good article pointing the finger at the server...however...in my case, I have two laptops using the save server (wireless connection to my wireless router);both have XP (3) installed; both have IE installed; one has Office 2007 installed; the other has Office 2010 installed.

On the Office 2007 laptop, I can d/l the pptx file fine; one the Office 2010 laptop, I get the zip file issue.

On th Office 2010 laptop, I can d/l the file perfectly using Firefox, but not IE*

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

You should check with others who use office 2010 with IE 7 or IE 8 and see if they face the same issue downloading from organizational website.

See if this fix helps you

Press Windows+R key and type

inetcpl.cpl and click ok

Click on Security tab,On the Security tab, select the Internet zone, then click the Custom Level button
Scroll down and disable "Open file based on content not file extension" Click ok
Go to Local Intranet zone and Trusted Sites zone and do the same.
Reopen IE 8 and see if you can download as pptx.

There is no other way as problem is with Web server itself.

#5 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

OK...I'm stumped...What's 'Windows+R'?

When I disable, I get code garbage when the file opens.

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

Click on startmenu and type

inetcpl.cpl and press ENTER

Edited by narenxp, 24 July 2012 - 09:31 AM.

#7 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

That did not work...Code 'garbage' when I try to d/l the pptx fine

#8 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

Hmmmm...there have been some changes...

I restored the Security settings (both Internet and Intranet are set back to 'enable'

When I try to open the file now, it actually 'unzips' it, although not completely. The 'file' is a consolidated file containing 3 pptx presentations and 1 pptx master menu linking the 3 other presentations. I get to 'see' the 3 separate pptx presentations but the 'master menu' pptx is not in the file listing.

But, this doesn't help because it is incomplete, and...My computer is still treating the pptx file as a zip file.

#9 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

I think issue is with webserver itself.

You should check with others who use office 2010 with IE 7 or IE 8 and see if they face the same issue downloading from organizational website.

We cannot do anything if there are others who face the same problem (office 2010 with IE 8)

#10 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

Thank you for your efforts, but...

I am successful with my current computer using the Firefox browser

I am successful with another computer using 2007 and IE8

So, apparently the webserver is working for some IE8 configurations and not others..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users