Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Melissa2223

Melissa2223

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:17 PM

Hello,

I have an old computer that one day decided to turn itself off and I' :thumbsup: ve been trying to fix it ever since!
I have tried to use windows recovery on it however recently it has decided that theres no hard disc in it. I'm assuming it means hard drive. I have opened it up several times to swap the hard drives from another computer to see if it was the hard drive itself but it keeps happening. I have tried to get on to set up but it keeps asking for the current password, I have no idea what its talking about. The admin password is blank so it's not that. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I can still get on the the boot menu etc but after the recovery process starts it goes to the drive not deteced screen! Is there anything software that I can use on the stupid thing really wanna fix it!!

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:02 PM

Hi Melissa2223,

Welcome to BleepingComputer,

I have tried to use windows recovery on it however recently it has decided that theres no hard disc in it. I'm assuming it means hard drive.

That is right. Windows does not detect a hard drive to install itself on. There actually could be one of two things going on here.
1. If the computer is old, the CMOS battery may be bad and hence the configuration, or setup of the computer, maybe invalid. This can cause the hard drive, and other devices, not to be recognized.
2. You may just have a bad hard drive.

Lets start with a few questions... Does your computer start with an error code and/or audio beeps? If it does beep, write down the patterns (long short short). What is the model of your computer?

Finally, lets get rid of the setup password. Unplug the computer - Open the case - On the motherboard (mainboard) there should be a battery that looks about the size of a nickel... or oversized watch battery. Beside that, there should be a clear cmos jumper. Move the jumper over one position, leave it for 30 seconds or so, and then move it back to its original position. This jumper should only have 3 pins with two jumpered. If you don't see that, remove the battery for around an hour and then replace it. This should clear any setup password.

When the password is cleared, you can try to go back into setup and reset the hard drive settings. This option is usually set for auto-detection.

Questions, just ask...

Good luck,

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Melissa2223

Melissa2223
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for replying.

First off I have two computers, one of which was given to us from a cousins boyfreinds grandad! The second was off my dad who bought it off some bloke. So, as you can see not much to go on as far as the models and makes of the computer is. The computer just beeps once but it always has even when it was working so nothing unusual there. I wondered if I had all the cables in the correct ports?! I know limited amounts about computers, what I do know I've learnt from looking and messing around with them and the rest is researched off the internet. You mentioned the "watch battery", would that need replacing at any point? Or would I know about it? As for the setup password I've figured it out, I changed it myself :thumbsup:

Its actually stuck on the BIOS screen now! It will let me press F8 to go to boot etc but it doesn't actually go anywhere! I'm thinking it probably is the wiring or the hard drive but then again I have two so any furthur advice is helpful! I've just got photos of my daughter from when she was younger that I'd like to get back even though it's not looking possible even if I do manage to save the hard drive!!! Cheers

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:37 AM

Welcome back Melissa2223,

If you go into CMOS setup, to where the hard drives are listed, can you do an autodetect on the drives? There should be a listing giving you that option.

Look at the back of the drive - the side where you plug the wide cable in - there should be a jumper on an arrangement of 6 to 8 pins. Check to see if that is set for master - or cable select. There should be a diagram on the hard drive that shows how to set it correctly.

Try that and let me know...

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 Melissa2223

Melissa2223
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2006 - 11:31 AM

I can't even get off the BIOS screen. The hard drive is set to master, thanks for that! But in my silliness I think I have wired it up wrong, I am sooooo annoyed at the moment. Do you know of any websites that have step by step instructions on how to wire the computer up basically? With diagrams would be nice. I'm sure that I've put the cables with the colours on, don't know what they're called, the wrong way round. I'm really frustrated and just want to get it working, going right back to the beginning is the only way I can think of solving this!

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 12:08 PM

Some of the older computer, you could plug the EIDE (flat grey cable) in backwards. They is a red line, or dotted line, on one side of the cable. That red dotted line should be the closest to the 4pin power plug.
When you menitioned the BIOS screen were you talking about the Boot Startup Screen? Rigel has a great idea. Replace the motherboard battery. A bad battery can cause irrgeular behavior.
If you would not mind, list the specifications of both of the computers. Make, Model, processor (kind Intel or AMD, and speed), RAM (type and amount), hard drive (maker and size), Operating system (and service pack).
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Melissa2223

Melissa2223
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:56 PM

Hello, thanks for joining in! Well the computers were given to me so I don't have all the specifications. How do I find out? I don't have any manuals. I think I've got the computer to detect the hard drive now but when I go to the set up screen and ask the comp to detect HDD ( I think) it comes up as USER rather than auto!? All it's doing now is going round and round in circles from BIOS to the safe mode options screen then back round again! HELP. I'll try the battery thing though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users