Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ST3320813AS: Hard disk failure is imminent problem in HP Pavilion Slimline s3760in Desktop PC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Siva_Lovable

Siva_Lovable

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

Hi

Model No- HP Pavilion Slimline s3760in Desktop PC. Refer to the link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfr/wc/softwareCategory?os=4062&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3831...

Computer came with pre-installed Vista Home Premium 32-bit and recently did clean installation of windows 7 professional 32-bit.

My PC was not in use for more than 3months and when i turned on i get message on screen

ST3320813AS: Hard disk failure is imminent.
Please backup your hard disk and have it replaced !
Press <F10> for Setup, <F2> to continue

If you enter setup and go to S.M.A.R.T check and when u scan for SMART Short Self Test and SMART Extended Self Test message displays

Test finished Failed.
SMART Self Test Status Value - 4 (Completed the test, but the failed element unknown)

Test finished Failed.
SMART Extended Self Test Status Value - 4 (Completed the test, but the failed element unknown)

Few days back i have installed AVG PC tuner 2012 and when i scan for Hard disk Health it showed some error in reading amd writing. i am not sure about it because cant remember exactly.

Scanned full hard disk for Error-checking the drive for errors and check "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" but dint find any bad sectors and system errors.

i had run SeaTools for Windows application from Seagate and it says important firmware update is available as i am having recent firmware revision HP2A for model number ST3320813AS

So my doubt is that

1] shall i proceed with this firmware update "Download Firmware Update Utility BR-SD2B.exe" from this link http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/207957en/?language=en_USc=Product_Family%3ADesktop_SATA%2COperating_System%3AWindows_7_or_Vista&fs=Search&pn=1

2] will there be any problem after updating this firmware?

3] how to fix this SMART hard disk failure problem?

Please provide the solution as soon as possible.

Edited by Siva_Lovable, 23 July 2012 - 06:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cuhkwan

cuhkwan

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

Your data is the first priority to concern. Please back up all your data from that old HD because it is going to die soon. It is better than you run all kinds of dat recovery tools before it is too late.

Aftet back up, you can try to fix it. But, you still do not have much confident to use it as a normal working HD. In last, replace it with another new HD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users