Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Bluescreen/random restart

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PaulyMX

PaulyMX

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

All right, I have a Dell, that is having an annoying issue. My uncle gave it to me to fix, said it was bluescreening on start up. This proved to be true. It worked fine in Safemode so I went about cleaning up the startup and programs (lots of stupid addware/toolbars). After getting rid of those and some malware(using malwarebytes), I thought the issue would be resolved, it was not. Still bluescreening. I went back and went into safemode with networking, thought I would make sure everyting was update etc. Well first time I brought up IE the computer restarted. As in it restarted itself. It didn't crash or bluescreen, it properly shut itself down and restarted. I was bewildered. I couldn't find anymore malware. I thought about hitting it with hijackthis(should have) and posting but, it was an old version of IE so I tried to update it. That failed miserably. The update sat there and failed every time I restarted and it still bluescreened on regular startup. So I decided to try to roll it back and did a system restore. My restore point was from the 2nd and it wouldn't lose much, and it was before a restore point for a critical update that corresponded with the time it started acting up. This done I started her back up and she restarted. No bluescreen but a simple crash and reboot. It even does it in safemode now. I can't get it to stay up for more than a couple seconds. It starts loading and everything is fine but somewhere in the end of loading up things it runs into an issue and restarts. I'm flummoxed. Any help would be appreciated. Interesting/possibly important notes, neither the windows nor mcafee firewalls would load. Windows reported an error on its firwall stating it wasn't using recommended settings, mcafee's firewall would start then immediately stop. Green check then "Mcafee firewall is not activated", every time you clicked activate it. I'm thinking some weird virus/hijack. But now I can't get it started to pursue that. Fairly certain it isn't hardware as it ran fine in safemode. Also it ran perfectly fine the first time I turned it on. It seemed to take issue when I plugged in the network cable and restarted. Things keep pointing towards a virus.

Stats are as follows:

Dell Inspiron 546s (slim)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Intel Core i5
6g ram

Can't tell you much more as I can't keep it up long enough to get more info. Any help would be appreciated, I don't want to have to reload windows.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

No bluescreen but a simple crash and reboot

To keep the computer from restarting and get the bluescreen error code disable, auto restart. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm

Tekken

#3 Saurabh A

Saurabh A

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

Hi PaulyMX,

My name is Saurabh.

I understand the inconvenience that you may be facing due to blue screens and random system restarts. Would be glad to assist.
Undoubtedly, there is a possibility of this being due to a virus infection. However, you have mentioned about the system restarting and misbehaving even in the safe mode.

I would highly recommend you also run the Dell Hardware Diagnostics – Pre Boot System Assessment. Please find the process to run the diagnostics by clicking the following links:
1) PSA Diagnostics: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?&docid=DSN_300428&isLegacy=true
2) If the PSA Diagnostics pass, please run the Extended Test on memory: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?&docid=DSN_155502&isLegacy=true

Kindly mention the results of the tests. Will take it forward from there on.

Thanks & Regards
Saurabh_A

Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 August 2012 - 07:06 AM.
Revealed links and removed spammy content. ~ OB

#4 learsi_C

learsi_C

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:24 AM

Check your system drivers if they are installed properly. The drivers might have been corrupted that's why the computer is not functioning properly and could not boot. Go to your BIOS and check the system drivers, if possible try to update them to the current ones.Check this guide on how you can do it

#5 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:24 AM

Well first time I brought up IE the computer restarted. As in it restarted itself. It didn't crash or bluescreen, it properly shut itself down and restarted. I was bewildered.

This looks like Zero access rootkit.Let me ask a malware response team member to help you

good luck

Edited by narenxp, 30 July 2012 - 06:24 AM.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

Hello, I will move this topic to the malware removal forum.

Please restart your computer and tap F8 until the Advanced Boot Options come up. Select Repair Windows and let me know if the recovery environment loads successfully.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

#7 PaulyMX

PaulyMX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

Ok, sorry I haven't been here. Emergency oral surgery put me down for a while. I ended up booting back to factory. I had to put it in as a secondary HD in another computer to pull files though. Thank you for your help all. At the very least I learned a few new things about working with a bluescreen. :)

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

I am sorry to hear that and I hope you're feeling better now. :)

Please let me know if you have any question or problem left.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users