Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

gateway splash screen

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 dxgoalie

dxgoalie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

i have a gateway desktop that was running xp pro. for some reason the other day when i would try and turn it on it would flash a blue error screen after the windows splash screen. After trying to reboot it a few times I installed Ubuntu to retrieve my files before I reinstalled xp. This worked perfectly up until I tried to reinstall XP, I ran the install disk and deleted the old files and copied the new ones. From here the disk wanted me to reboot to continue and I did so, now when the computer tried to turn on it gets to the Gateway splash screen (where it says press F10 for boot menu and F2 for BIOS) none of the command keys work. I've tried pressing F10, F2, and F8 repediatly before the screen comes up and after (all different attempts) and also tried unpluging the desktop from the wall for 10 min and rebooting. Is there hope?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

Onscreen error messages?

What model Gateway system?

Louis

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:27 PM

Additional Question:

From here the disk wanted me to reboot to continue and I did so

What disk? Is it a clean install of XP?

Tekken

#4 dxgoalie

dxgoalie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

it's an e series. and the only error screen i've gotten was when windows was first messing up before I intstalled Ubuntu. it was a blue screen error but it flashed too quickly for me to see what error was causing the problem

#5 dxgoalie

dxgoalie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:30 PM

it was a clean install where I wiped the hard drive. I used the windows disk that the computer came with

#6 dxgoalie

dxgoalie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

NEW DEVELOPMENT: now it beeps alot once it gets to the splash screen and continues to beep until I turn it off

Edited by dxgoalie, 23 July 2012 - 10:24 PM.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:38 AM

Stating the number of beep codes would help point the hardware problem. It seems you are trying to install from XP,Ubuntu back to xp with these bluescreen issue...

Tekken

#8 dxgoalie

dxgoalie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:21 AM

its is just fast beeps with no breaks, however it does not happen every time i attempt to turn the computer on. the blue screen issue occurred before ubuntu.

I had xp -> got a blue screen and refused to finish startup -> installed ubuntu -> attempted to remove and install xp -> rebooted as instructed -> wont boot past gateway splash screen with F keys doing nothing and now fast repetitious beeps on certain start up attempts

as far as the keyboard, i believe it is still being recognized because the lock lights light up as I press the lock keys

#9 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

Have a look at this Microsoft article see if it helps you out => Install Windows XP

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#10 dxgoalie

dxgoalie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

Have a look at this Microsoft article see if it helps you out => Install Windows XP

I'm stuck between the erasing of the hard drive at the end of starting the install and the reboot in the continuing the install

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

Without knowing the error or beeps, it will be hard to continue giving out suggestion. A shot in the dark, try removing one stick of RAM.

Tekken

#12 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

dxgoalie what do you mean you are stuck?

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#13 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

Hello dxgoalie,

If the hard drive is failing, a re-install of Windows may prove to be far from satisfactory.

Testing the hard drive is relatively easy if you have access to another computer to burn the bootable CD. It is always best to use the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic software, if possible . If you know the manufacturer of your hard drive, then refer to Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics. Review the page, download the DOS version for your hard drive, burn it to create a bootable CD, and run both short and long tests.

If you don't know your hard drive manufacturer:
  • Download the Seatools for DOS version by clicking the "Downloads" tab, selecting operating system, then "Download - accept license agreement. Burn the "SeaToolsDOS223ALL.Iso" image to a CD so it is bootable.
  • If you don't have software to burn an "Iso" file to CD or don't know how:
  • Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk" then under "Source" click on the "folder icon" Posted Image to the right and select the "iso" file location.
  • Click on this icon to "Start." Posted Image
[/list]
  • Restart your computer with the Diagnostic Disk. (For how to set CDROM drive to boot first, go here)
  • Run the Short test first and then the Long test.
  • If given the option to repair the drive, allow it but ONLY if you have backed up all important data on the drive.
  • Any reported errors in either test should make you suspect a failing hard drive.
Let us know the results.

Regards,
Brooks

#14 dxgoalie

dxgoalie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

Hello dxgoalie,

If the hard drive is failing, a re-install of Windows may prove to be far from satisfactory.

Testing the hard drive is relatively easy if you have access to another computer to burn the bootable CD. It is always best to use the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic software, if possible . If you know the manufacturer of your hard drive, then refer to Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics. Review the page, download the DOS version for your hard drive, burn it to create a bootable CD, and run both short and long tests.

If you don't know your hard drive manufacturer:

• Download the Seatools for DOS version by clicking the "Downloads" tab, selecting operating system, then "Download - accept license agreement. Burn the "SeaToolsDOS223ALL.Iso" image to a CD so it is bootable.
  • If you don't have software to burn an "Iso" file to CD or don't know how:
  • Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk" then under "Source" click on the "folder icon" Posted Image to the right and select the "iso" file location.
  • Click on this icon to "Start." Posted Image
[/list]
  • Restart your computer with the Diagnostic Disk. (For how to set CDROM drive to boot first, go here)
  • Run the Short test first and then the Long test.
  • If given the option to repair the drive, allow it but ONLY if you have backed up all important data on the drive.
  • Any reported errors in either test should make you suspect a failing hard drive.
Let us know the results.

will this cd run before the BIOS?

Also someone told me to try booting from LAN is there anyway to do this given the problems i'm having?

#15 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

Hello,

will this cd run before the BIOS?

The Power On Self Test (POST) of the BIOS has to take place in order for the computer to recognize the hard drive and CDROM. So yes, the computer would have to POST in order for it to be capable of booting from the CD.

When the computer is first turned on, there should be a message on the screen to press an F key to enter Setup (usually F1 or F2). If you can enter Setup, you should be able to change the boot order to CDROM first; save changes, then exit. Try to boot the diagnostic CD.

Are you saying that you are unable to boot from the hard drive diagnostic CD?

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users