Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:04 PM

Hi all,

I have a page on my site that I never seem to have the time to update as much as I would like to, and a friend offered his help because what he uses the web for, mostly revolves around this certain subject. He seems to be eager to learn, and I would like him to have total control over managing the content of this section of my site, but he is "green" and I don't want to overwhelm him to much.

I am familiar with several products, but none seem to fit what I am looking for. I would like him to use something like Notepad++, because it is very straight forward with excellent syntax highlighting. But it does'nt support it's own FTP capabilities.

I'm not an advocate for learning to write web sites with WYSIWYG apps, so that leaves out most of the ones that I can think of. Copy/Paste of URL's and some basic word processing, followed by uploading the changes to my server are all he is going to be doing for now, so the smaller and simpler the better.

Please don't spend too much time on this, there are people out there with needs that require much more attention, but if a program pops into your mind, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanx in advance,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:31 PM

Well, I use Dreamweaver 8. It has a WYSIWYG interface and a code interface that can be used exclusively or in concert. It also helps when typing code because it offers options based on partial maches (eg: if you type in "<a" a small dropdown menu will give you options like "href=" and "name=". It also has ftp support.

Kinda pricey, though.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 08 March 2006 - 02:31 PM.

#3 jchedot

jchedot

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:07 PM

Check out First Page 2006 I havn't used this version, I have used the 200 version and liked it. Best of all is the price -- free
I finally got it all together, now if I could just remember where I put it.

#4 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:28 PM

Thanx for the suggestions,

Amazing Andrew Posted Today, 11:31 AM
Well, I use Dreamweaver 8.

I also use Dreamweaver 8, and other than the price, were talking about a guy who calls me every time his Firewall alerts him to give internet access to a program. :thumbsup: Although it would be rather humerous to set him loose in Dreamweaver just to see how many times he would call me.

Check out First Page 2006 I havn't used this version, I have used the 200 version and liked it. Best of all is the price -- free

Yes, I have contemplated showing him First Page 2006, and I have tested it out a bit as well, (Im a New Program-aholik). What I don't like about the apps. like that, is the delay you get when you are typing. For some reason, several WYSIWYG titles suffer from this problem, I think it's because it has to process the info through the "Coder" and "Designer" modes, but Im not sure.

nos :flowers:

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:35 PM

Amazing Andrew Posted Today, 11:31 AM
Well, I use Dreamweaver 8.

I also use Dreamweaver 8, and other than the price, were talking about a guy who calls me every time his Firewall alerts him to give internet access to a program. :thumbsup: Although it would be rather humerous to set him loose in Dreamweaver just to see how many times he would call me.

:flowers: Ain't it the truth!

#6 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:01 PM

Nvu (pronounced N-view, for a "new view") makes managing a web site a snap. Now anyone can create web pages and manage a website with no technical expertise or knowledge of HTML.

http://www.nvu.com# WYSIWYG editing of pages, making web creation as easy as typing a letter with your word processor.
# Integrated file management via FTP. Simply login to your web site and navigate through your files, editing web pages on the fly, directly from your site.
# Reliable HTML code creation that will work with all of today's most popular browsers.
# Jump between WYSIWYG Editing Mode and HTML using tabs.
# Tabbed editing to make working on multiple pages a snap.
# Powerful support for forms, tables, and templates.
# The easiest-to-use, most powerful Web Authoring System available for Desktop Linux, Microsoft Windows and Apple Macintosh users.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:43 PM

How about OpenOffice 2.0 ? I have not use 2 but 1.1 had a desent HTML editor. I use Fresh FTP for my uploads. Not intergraded but work well.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:03 PM

Hi everyone,

I am so sorry, I feel like I have wasted your time. I would also suggest all of those titles, and have tried all of them out at one point in time. I can probobly name the top 25 most downloaded apps as well. If you are familiar with EditPad light, that would be perfect, small, fast with syntax highlighting, replace, and so fourth.......but it lacks FTP. If I could find an app that was say, EditPad light+FileZilla in one, I would be joyful.

I actually made a batch file to associate with apps. such as Notepad++, and EditPad light, using the FTP via Command Promp. Works well, and when made correctly, easier than anything else to use, there is only one catch......passwords are not secure that way, they are sent as plain text. :thumbsup:

Im thinking I will just have to settle with installing two seperate programs to get what I am looking for. But, I truly appreciate the effort, and if anyone has any suggestions that are off the beaten path, but reliable, my ears are always open.

Thanx again,

nos :flowers:

#9 ColdinCbus

ColdinCbus

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:16 AM

Try HTML-kit Free for personal use and has a built in FTP workspace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users