Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Overheat

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 renegadestar87

renegadestar87

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

Hi guys,

I've been having a problem with my Dell Vostro 3300 that when in use (not anything major, even just when using Skype) The fan is running at full ball and the laptop eventually overheats and turns itself off! Is there anything anybody can recommend to stop this from happening? It's an occurring problem and is driving me crazy!
Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

There are three basic reasons for a laptop overheating.
1. Clogged heatsink
2. Defective fan
3. High CPU usage

Number 1 is the most common in my experience.
Number two should not be an issue as you can hear the fan racing. Normal would be silent.
Check number three by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del and open up the task manager. The COU usage doing nothing should be very low.

For future reference

Dell™ Vostro™ 3300 Service Manual
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/vos3300/en/SM/index.htm

If the HP approach doesn't work get back to me and I'll try and walk you through a partial disassemble of the laptop to get to the heat sink and fan assembly. Many delicate parts and connectors so that is a last resort. You would need a delicate touch and small tools for that step.

This is HPs take on reducing heating.
It should apply to most laptops.

Reducing Heat Inside the PC
The sound of the fan running all the time may the first clue that your PC is not running as efficiently as possible and that you may have a problem with accumulated dust clogging air vents.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01657439&tmp_track_link=ot_recdoc/c00292159/en_us/c01657439/loc:1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 deb001

deb001

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

Hi renegadestar87,

My name is Debbie.

First check the air cooling vents and make sure that the passages are not clogged with lint and other stuff.

Simply raising your laptop off of any flat surface will allow fresh, cool air to come in from the intake on the bottom of the laptop. This will solve many of the heat issues you might be having.

Also, let it be known that you should NEVER have your laptop on any type of soft surface, such as a pillow, blanket, thick carpet, etc.; Doing so will not allow ANY cool air to enter the fan intake, and could cause more system hang ups and permanent component damage. Keep it on a flat, hard surface at all times

Remove the battery and charger/ac adapter/power cord from your Dell Vostro 3300 notebook, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds to discharge any residual current inside the laptop. This clears your RAM and is like hardware reset. Replace the battery and charger/ac adapter/power cord and turn your Dell Vostro 3300 notebook on.

Boot in "safe mode". As it starts up press F8, the computer asks you if you'd like to start in safe mode. Highlight "safe mode" and press enter. See if your Dell Vostro 3300 notebook works normal.

If the problem persists, did you check if it could be your Dell Vostro 3300 notebook power cord or power source problem? Insufficient power might cause error messages that are misleading. Take the battery out and power on your notebook with the charger only. Make sure your notebook power jack and charger plug tip are securely connected. Did you notice the power jack loose?

Kindly follow the following steps:

1) Run the Dell Diagnostics.

In Order to Run the Dell Diagnostics, kindly click on the below mentioned URL to get the instructions on How to run the PSA Diagnostics , and an Error Code list with Possible solutions:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_14B3819735D6B40EE0401E0A55177ED2&isLegacy=true#HDD

2) Update the Bios Of your computer by clicking on the below URL :

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=R103836&FileId=2731112944&productCode=inspiron-8500&urlProductCode=False

3) Check the Battery Health Meter in your system.
Press Fn + F3 to display the Quickset Battery Meter. The Battery Meter screen displays status, charge level, and charge completion time for the primary and second batteries in your computer.

Please reply in case you have any questions.

Thanks & Regards,

Debbie

Edited by Orange Blossom, 04 August 2012 - 07:58 PM.
Replaced short links with actual, and removed spammy content. ~ OB

Thanks & Regards
Debbie_B

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

The link for the BIOS is for a different computer. renegadestar87 is running Dell Vostro 3300, but the BIOS link provided is for the Inspiron 8500.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users