Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can my monitor be used as a TV screen?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

My old TV is on its last legs and a new one would cost me about 150 GB pounds (200 US dollars), so can't I simply pull the Freeview plug out of it and plug it into my spare monitor at zero cost?
I've searched the net for advice and also asked at 3 computer shops in town and got different answers at them all,ranging from "yes it can be done", to "possibly", to "no it can't be done".
I've yellow-dotted the cable in the pic below because that's the one that feeds signals from the Freeview tuning box into the TV, the plug on the TV end is a big multi-pronged thing.
The bottom pic is the rear of my monitor, and none of the sockets are big enough to take the plug.
Maybe I need some kind of adapter lead, what do you think?

PS- I'm in England, maybe it's different from the US system, hence the differing approach of US/Brit websites

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 23 July 2012 - 03:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

This might be the easiest method.

Can I watch Freeview on my computer (PC)?

Freeview is not broadcast over the internet, but you can use your computer screen like a television screen using a USB tuner, a PCI card or buying a PC with Freeview built-in.

USB TV Tuner plugs into a USB port on your computer and converts the digital signal you receive through the TV aerial into a format that your PC's media player can play on screen. You can receive all the Freeview channels but may not be able to receive the interactive services.

http://www.freeview.co.uk/Features/2011/All-about-USB-TV-Tuners/
If you live in an area that receives Freeview HD, there is now a USB TV Tuner that can receive the Freeview HD signal. For this, your computer must have a HD screen or a HDMI output that will allow you to connect your HDTV to enjoy full high definition TV. For more info, visit the PCTV website .

All about... USB TV Tuners
http://www.freeview.co.uk/Features/2011/All-about-USB-TV-Tuners/
USB Digital TV Sticks start from around 20 and can be bought from many UK retailers including Amazon, Maplin and John Lewis. For more information on USB TV Tuners, visit our friends at What Sat for a comprehensive review of current models.

I looked at SCART to VGA or DVI and they generally only worked in special circumstances.

I'd get the USB tuner and be done with it. Just check to be sure your Computer meets the hardware specifications needed.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 23 July 2012 - 02:33 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

Thanks, i'll digest it..:)

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

Good Luck
Roger

P.S. You are right the USA and the UK use some things different. The UK uses SCART for some connections. No such thing in the USA. NTSC vs PAL for video standards and such.

No Freeview service as such. NO TV license fee either.

All over the air TV is free and supported by Advertising. In The New York City Area for example I believe there are approx 26 stations OTA, mnany with subchannels.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users