Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Use Wired Ethernet Connection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 davicim0

davicim0

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

Recently the power went out in my house. Ever since the power has come back on, I haven't been able to use my wired internet connection. When I look at my devices, my Intel 82566 Gigabit Network Connection has the status "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device." I've tried re-installing and updating the driver, but I can't tell whether I've done this successfully. In any event, it still doesn't work.

I have a Dell XPS 410. Let me know if you need any other information. Thanks for reading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

Hello -
It seems by your post that you still have wireless connection.
The Ethernet cable may have been "cooked" with the blackout situation, and maybe a surge afterwards

Have you used another cable yet to check this idea out yet ?? See if that improves things.
The other option is that maybe your Ethernet cable connectors were burned at some stage in the black out

Thanks -

#3 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

I had this happen once at home and when the power came back up, it fired my router, hub, and 5 network cards on five different computers.

You will have to check that equipment to make sure its working properly.

This is why I now have a UPS that not only protects my power but also my phone line, cat5 line and even my coax for my TV. Paid a little more for it but its well worth it.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

Just an extra -
I hope you got the drivers from HERE The Intel site -

Regards -

#5 davicim0

davicim0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

@noknojon: I did make sure to get the drivers from Intel. I followed your link and did it again just in case. Still no luck. I've also used my computer's service tag and the Dell website to try and find the appropriate drivers. None has worked so far. The ethernet cable still works. I just plugged it into my laptop, and I'm able to use my wired connection just fine with it.

@Firefoxthebomb: How can I check that the equipment is working properly?

EDIT: Thanks for your replies, by the way.

Edited by davicim0, 23 July 2012 - 08:16 PM.

#6 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

Well for testing you did that by plugging your laptop using the same equipment and it worked. Now the network card needs to be tested.

Do you have a spare network card you can use to replace the one in the computer in question?

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#7 Saurabh A

Saurabh A

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

Hi davicim0,

My name is Saurabh.

Kindly check the status of the network card drivers in the device manager. The computer is shipped with 825xx Gigabit Platform LAN Network Device with Windows XP and with Vista 32 bit. Please mention the operating system in your computer. As per the error message mentioned by you, when you check the connection status, it looks like the card drivers need to be re-installed. To do so, kindly remove the card drivers completely, restart the system and then, reinstall the card drivers again.

To do that, please follow the following steps:
1. Go to device manager and locate the “network card” under the option “network adapter”.
2. Locate 825xx Gigabit Platform LAN Network Device, right click it and click “uninstall”. Follow the prompts to completely uninstall it. Once done, please restart the computer. After the system restarts, kindly follow the below mentioned steps to install the fresh drivers.
3. If the operating system in the computer is Windows XP, please use the following link to install the network card driver: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=R171870&FileId=2731118780&productCode=xps-410&urlProductCode=False
4. If the operating system is Windows Vista 32 bit, please use the following link: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=P2DFP&FileId=2731094271&productCode=xps-410&urlProductCode=False
5. After system restarts, kindly go to device manger to check the card’s driver status. System should now be able to connect to the internet.

If after performing these steps, the system still doesn’t work, please write back, so that we can check a few other things.

Thanks & Regards
Saurabh_A

Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 August 2012 - 06:54 AM.
Revealed links and removed spammy content. ~ OB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users