Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will Os's Conflict?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:37 AM

Have PC 1 with 2 identical HDD. WinXP Pro SP2. I share this PC with my son. He uses only drive 2.
Drive 1 has windows installed to it. Drive 2 is the slave.

Now he 's assembled PC 2 for school. It has win XP Home on it.

Question: would there be any problem taking his drive from PC1 and installing it into PC 2 as a slave. Will the other OS conflict. Will the old Hdd have registration concerns having a previous version of windows. I would like to keep him using the second drive on the new PC,so as not to be mucking up the windows drive. So if anything goes wrong it should only be on his work drive and not the OS drive.

Thanks
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 keith40222

keith40222

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:34 PM

No since your son is running windows xp on the other pc there should not be any conflicts; however, there may be some registry issues due to any executables he has installed on this drive. When he accesses the program on the slave drive of his new pc the program may need entries that where made in the registry of the original pc. SOME executable files/programs may require reinstallation to run. Save pictures/documents, etc. shouldn't pose a problem.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 72,270 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:43 PM

Thanx much
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:28 PM

Make sure you reset the jumpers so that the computer that you remove the slave drive from shows master/no slave and the other is jumpered for master with slave. (depending on who manufactured the drives)

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 72,270 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:07 PM

Great,I'd have fogotten that. I'll make a post it. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users