Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corruption Of Files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:28 AM

Dear Experts...

I was just wondering if any of the windows hacks, tips and tricks mentioned here or in any non microsoft authored books could cause file corruption of system files...?

such as using the shutdown -r -t 00 command on a shortcut file?..

I did read a discussion that running windows in administrator mode can cause problems over time due to corruption and it wouldn't surprise me if Windows did start getting stroppy where system file calls were made over Window's head....(or at least around the normal expected procedures)

Also, is it possible that there are sites out there that intentionally offer bad tips and tricks that will deliberatly cause sys probs..(course there are...)..does anyone have any reccommendations of which sites to avoid?

I do really like using the tips and tricks but have found after using them that my system becomes a bit short tempered every now and then...

Please give me good news as I hope to be able to use windows hacks more and more often.

Thank you for your reply

Darren

Edited by Darren De Wilde, 08 March 2006 - 11:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:28 PM

The tips and tricks aren't usually the problem - usually it's a combination of insufficient explanation and too many tweaks on a system.

For years I'd crash my systems because of tweaking the dicken's out of 'em. Now that I'm older and more cranky, I don't tweak much at all - and don't crash near as much!

As for the Shutdown command. Imagine this situation. You're in the middle of crunching numbers in a large database program. The system is writing stuff back and forth to memory and to the hard drive.

Then, in the middle of this, the shutdown command comes along and cut's it all off. It's not wonder that the files will get corrupted!

I attempted to do this at my wife's office - but lacking a response from the software developer I opted not to do it (since her data is too valuable to risk). So they still shutdown the app before shutting down the system (but I gave them a shortcut that backs up the system and then shuts it down - using the shutdown command)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users