Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lowered Cpu Speed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Xantalen

Xantalen

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:11 AM

Okay I was following this guide to help overclock my computer so when I was in what I think was the BIOS, I was screwing around with things while looking for something. I think when I set things to optimal settings, I lowered my cpu speed. Now instead of its normal 1.67Ghz, its now 1.25Ghz. What the hell man? BTW this guide was in the magazine uuhhh I think it was Maximum PC

The reason for me screwing with things was that I didn't have as many menus as I think I was supposed to have so I thought setting things to optimal settings would be a good idea and restore the menus or something...damn i suck

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CASTIGLIANO

CASTIGLIANO

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:38 AM

i think putting it to optimal made ur FSB lowered w/c wen multiplied to ur multiplier equal to ur cpu speed. find FSB in bios and adjust it to 133mhz or higher depending on ur motherboard. r u using AMD? ur CPU speed is d same as my other PC

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:19 PM

If this was a factory set processor. Putting the motherboard battery for a couple of minutes should reset the processor to the original speed. Other than that I will recommend caution when you adjust you CPU clock speed. You could very well damage you processor if you over clock it too much. Once damaged there will be no repairing it.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Xantalen

Xantalen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:57 PM

CASTIGLIANO, so that feature where you select between 100mhz 133mhz and 166mhz is my FSB? cause thats what ive been trying to find

#5 CASTIGLIANO

CASTIGLIANO

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 02:20 PM

yes that ur FSB. u can find it in the BIOS, in (CPU voltage / FSB). look for CPU FSB and adjust it to 133 mhz by pressing + sign. this is also the part wer u can overclock ur system by adjusting it to a higher value. then wallah save and exit. Optimal settings is like minimum of a safe value but u cannot utililies the full capability of ur CPU and MB.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 02:58 PM

Unless you know exactly what you're doing overclocking can result in your needing a new processor, a new motherboard or both.

Edited by Enthusiast, 10 March 2006 - 02:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users