Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee scan went off blocking risky content.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 arc14716

arc14716

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:05 AM

About an hour or two ago, I was surfing the web when I noticed that McAfee was blocking content that may pose a risk. Afraid that I may have caught a virus/malware from the site I was on, I closed Internet Explorer and began to take the following steps:

1) I ran TDSSKiller (I was prompted to download an updated version, which I did). I did check off the part where it says to detect TDLFS file system. The scan pulled up no threats using those settings.

2) I then went and ran the online virus scanner from ESET. No threats detected there.

3) I'm currently running a Norton Antivirus Full System Scan. So far, nothing has been detected, other than tracking cookies. It's early in the scan, though.

Is there anything else I should do to be certain that I didn't accidentally download a virus? I had an experience last week where I somehow picked up a virus and was able to deal with it. I just want to make sure that there's nothing else on my computer.

The PC I have is running Windows XP with the latest service pack installed. I'm also running Internet Explorer 8. Also, I installed the latest version of Java two nights ago.

That should be it. I'll update if anything turns up on the Norton scan. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you for your time.

Update--Norton scan just finished; all it found were some tracking cookies which have been dealt with. Nothing else. One thing of note is that when I was on aolmail a few hours ago, the MacAfee thing went off, saying that it was blocking content of a suspected nature.

Edited by arc14716, 23 July 2012 - 08:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

If you're not experiencing any ill effects you should be fine.

BTW, are you running two AV programs, Norton and McAfee?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 arc14716

arc14716
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

I have a full version of Norton Internet Security installed--latest version as of this month by the way. I may have some form of McAfee installed since it prompts me to scan my system every week. I would need to check.

I also have a McAfee toolbar/safe search search engine on my browser, as well as Norton Safe Web/Search toolbar installed on my browser. And I have a Google toolbar/searchbar installed on my browser as well. Three different searchbars on one browser page.

Sounds obvious, but I think I need to get rid of one or two. What should I get rid of?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

It doesn't matter which one.
You can run only one AV program.
To uninstall McAfee use this tool: http://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html
To uninstall Norton use this tool: http://majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_SymNRT_d4749.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 arc14716

arc14716
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:34 AM

I don't think the McAfee's one is a full antivirus program. Rather, it's something called McAfee Site Advisor Toolbar and it looks like something that I can turn off through the Toolbar Menu under Tools on Internet Explorer.

Let me see how it goes and if I need to, I can follow the steps in the above post.

All seems well with my computer so far. Thanks for the help.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

Site Advisor is fine :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users