Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Keyboard Gone Berzerk!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 jbmoisin

jbmoisin

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:02 AM

Hey guys,

I don't know where to put this actually. Last night, i accidentally spilled some coca-cola over my laptop keyboard. And this morning, all those keys around that area can't be used. When i started the computer, it gives a strange sound as if a key's being struck. but miraculously, now it seems fine ( although while im typing this, it sometime do strange thing like the backspace struck by itself).

My question is, do i need to go for a repair or it'll eventually repair by itself( considering that the small amount of water will go away)? Because, it seems like it's getting better by itself and i really don't want to spend money again on this crappy laptop after getting it repaired last month.

Or, is there any other solution?

Thanks for reading this though guys. :thumbsup:
Posted Image
For the team from the Eternal City, 90 minutes at Old Trafford must have seemed an eternity indeed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:59 AM

You could try taking the keys off (assuming they come off like on a regular keyboard) and take a qtip and some cleaning fluild and clean up the mess. DO NOT put the cleaning fluid right on the keyboard! Instead, put some LIGHTLY on the qtip and then swab it around.

Hope it helps!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 jbmoisin

jbmoisin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:45 AM

How could i know if it can be taken off like normal keyboard? I would like to try, but if it's not meant to be taken off like that, then i'll make things worst.

Thanks for the fast reply btw!
Posted Image
For the team from the Eternal City, 90 minutes at Old Trafford must have seemed an eternity indeed.

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:51 PM

Hi jbmoisin,

I would buy a new keyboard. They aren't that expensive, and it a lot easier than cleaning all the keys and internal membrane. If Coke did make it into the deep, dark recesses of the internal membrane, most are sealed where you cannot easily disassemble it anyways.

My two cents,

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 jbmoisin

jbmoisin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:43 PM

Hi rigel,

Do you mean, you want me to use another keyboard for my laptop? Wouldn't be as laptop as it is, would it? But if you really meant that i should use an addup (PS/2 or usb) keyboard, i think that's a cool solution. But wouldn't there be any hardware problem (2 keyboard for one laptop). I just can't see how anyone could use an extra keyboard for his/her laptop. Plus, if i don't do anything to this keyboard, i won't see why the problem during startup will be gone.

Here's your 2 cents back. :thumbsup:

P/S: Do you think that the accident could actually cause damage to the laptop (not only the keyboard)? The cola i spilled is not that much btw.

Edited by jbmoisin, 08 March 2006 - 03:47 PM.

Posted Image

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:52 PM

Actually you can add a external keyboard, mouse, and monitor. All notebooks are setup that way. Some have an all-in-one interface so you can set the notebook on a craddle and the K,V,M automaticily hook up. It's called a "Docking Station". You do not need one. If you have one PS\2 port buy a splited so you can run both mouse and keyboard at once, or use the USB port for one. The video port should be on the back of the computer. In a few seconds you can turn your notebook into a desktop. This is quite popular, and all notebooks support this feature.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 jbmoisin

jbmoisin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:02 PM

Ah, i see. Thanks for the help. It's just leave me one thing. That still don't answer the startup problem.
Posted Image

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:08 PM

Could you tell us the Make and model of your notebook? What startup problem?

#9 jbmoisin

jbmoisin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:32 PM

It's a packard bell easynote mobile AMD athlon XP-M.

Just like i mentionned above, during startup, it makes strange sound as if there's a key being struck. But the happened this morning when i restart my computer and i haven't restart again so i didn't know if it'll happen again or not.
Posted Image

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 05:33 PM

That is exactly what is happening. The Cola is acting like ticy tac and sticking the keys.

#11 jbmoisin

jbmoisin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 05:44 PM

Yeah, i think that's the problem. So, any solution for that?
Posted Image

#12 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:11 PM

Hi jbmoisin,

Actually, you can do both. You can buy a keyboard for your laptop - and while it isn't as cheap as a standard keyboard, it is still reasonable. The standard keyboard fix is good too... if you don't want to buy the OEM version. It is still allows you to use the laptop even though the keyboard is toast!

Google the make and model of your laptop. You should be able to find a keyboard fairly cheap.

Okay... as a LAST resort (At your own risk to your laptop). Remove the keyboard from your laptop and spray is down with 409 spray cleaner. The 409 will remove a lot of the gunk. Be sure to let the "treated" keyboard to dry for at least 3 or 4 days before attempting to replace it back in your laptop. Make sure it is dry.

(I would still buy the new keyboard though!) :thumbsup:

Good luck,

Rigel

Edited by rigel, 08 March 2006 - 06:13 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:19 PM

You could use Dielectric motor cleaner. It is designed to clean electronic parts without leaving a conductive residue. Auto Zone use to carry it. Make sure it has "Dielectric" on the can. This is very important.

#14 jbmoisin

jbmoisin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:23 PM

Thehe.. Nice one rigel.. :thumbsup:

But then again, like i said, maybe to buy a new keyboard is the best choice. But still i have to do something to this keyboard (because it's disturbing during startup). And your idea seems to be helping me on blowing up my computer. :flowers:

I think i just see what happen tomorrow when i restart my computer.

Thanks again for replying guys. MUAH! :trumpet:

Edited by jbmoisin, 08 March 2006 - 06:24 PM.

Posted Image

#15 jbmoisin

jbmoisin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:27 PM

You could use Dielectric motor cleaner. It is designed to clean electronic parts without leaving a conductive residue. Auto Zone use to carry it. Make sure it has "Dielectric" on the can. This is very important.

You mean like anti-static foam cleaner? Yeah, i have one. But how can i clean underneath the keys (assuming i can't pull out the key or it's not meant to be taken off)?

Edit: Just googled it and found out it's not the same thing. Could i use the anti-static foam still?

Edited by jbmoisin, 08 March 2006 - 06:29 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users