Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows not booting up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bobbies

bobbies

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:10 AM

I have an Packard Bell laptop that is seven years old.I have been having trouble lately with it trying to boot up but not doing so. I have had to shut it down using the power button.It usually starts the second time.

I have quite a few films on an external hard drive. When i tried to play one, it came up with a message, the file was corupt, i tried another, with the same answer.I thought i would run my antivirus, and malware bites to see if that would help, but neither one would start.

I left it untill the next day but then it wouldn't even try to start.So i cant get into anything to try. Someone said it might be my hard disc. Will i have to take it in to be repaired or has it died. If so is there any way of recovering all my stuff. Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 23 July 2012 - 07:34 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

When you say it is not booting up, what occurs when you push the power button? Does the screen turn at all and freeze, maybe the hard drive spins for a moment or does the computer stay entirely dead?

If it was becoming a gradual issue from trouble booting up to totally dead that can usually indicate a hardware issue, it may also just be a simple loose connection however so it is not time to panic yet!
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 bobbies

bobbies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:20 AM

Thank you. When i press the power button nothing happens at all. As i said in my post, over a couple of months it used to say windows is starting up, but that was as far as it got, so then i had to press the power button to switch it of but now nothing.

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

If their's not a single LED lighting up or anything for even a split second I would personally investigate the power source to the laptop at first as it can be the cheapest to repair since it is a common issue with most laptops.

I have an Packard Bell laptop that is seven years old.

However, if it's seven years old it is probably using a motherboard without the solid-cap capacitors so it may be a distinct possibility that a capacitor has blown. Before taking it into the shop and spending $150 for them to look at it, it may be worth getting a small philips head screw driver and look under any easilly removable covers on the underside for any leaking, blown, or bulging capacitors.

They will look something like this
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users