Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless internet seems to get "clogged" when streaming

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 arkardykris

arkardykris

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:48 AM

Hi,

I've been having a problem with my wireless internet at home for about 10 months and my provider claims they cannot offer a fix. Since I'm in a two year contract I was hoping that someone here might have a solution!

Ever since the service was activated I have experienced problems streaming audio and video wirelessly. I can usually watch/listen to 10-20 seconds of a video before connectivity to the internet drops to zero. I am still connected to the wifi but there is no activity to/from the internet. Any online chat programs I have will sign out (Skype and GChat, for example) and web pages etc will not load. I cannot ping the router, or load its management page via the browser. Everything just hangs.

This happens on two completely different laptops (a Samsung of 2008 vintage, and a Lenovo from 2011). It also affects my smart phone (HTC Desire). On a PS3 I can play online games (admittedly the connection is dropped sometimes) but I cannot stream video at all (the same thing happens as on the laptops). I have discovered recently that the steaming problem is not mirrored when downloading files (for instance, I can download a 500Mb video file and watch that but not stream it).

The only way to restore connectivity to the internet is to turn off the wifi, turn it back on, and then start again. After I've done this if I try to stream anything the same thing happens again. If I connect a laptop to the router with a Cat5e cable this problem does not occur... but this is obviously not very convenient and is certainly not the functionality I am supposedly paying for.

I can connect to networks outside my home without this problem manifesting itself so it is obviously an issue with the modem/router (Netgear DGN1000). Before I was with my current ISP I had internet and a wireless router supplied by another provider, in two years I never had any of these problems... using the same computers!

Can anyone think of a cause/solution? If I just browse websites the connection will work for days, as soon as I try to stream anything though everything grinds to a complete halt. This is insanely frustrating!!

Many thanks!

Edited by arkardykris, 23 July 2012 - 07:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:37 AM

Hi -
Please run Speed Test on your system wirelessly and see what the Ping / /Download / Upload / speeds are -
Post the results back here for someone to review -
Note - Please be cafeful that you only click on the Middle item and NOT any of the advertising that surrounds it -

Thank You -

#3 arkardykris

arkardykris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

thanks for your reply. i had run speedtest many times... and many speedtests... they all told me the connection was good when if i didnt look at streaming content, or non-existent if i tried too!

thankfully, my ISP finally sent out a new router. the problems seem to have completely vanished. if only they could have done this nine months ago!

thanks for getting back to me.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

thankfully, my ISP finally sent out a new router. the problems seem to have completely vanished. if only they could have done this nine months ago!

Thank you for the final report. Please call back if you have further problems - :hello:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users